Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba shares: work under Windows, don't work under Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Samba shares: work under Windows, don't work under Ubuntu

OK. Firestarter has left a lot of iptables firewall rules even though you've uninstalled it.

I'm not very good with iptables, but I believe you're blocking broadcast traffic. This is very likely to be causing your problems.

Try this. It should clear your iptables rules:

Code:
    sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT && sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT && sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT && sudo iptables -F && sudo iptables -X
    verify it worked with:

Code:
    sudo iptables -L

Beans

Red face Re: Samba shares: work under Windows, don't work under Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    OK. Firestarter has left a lot of iptables firewall rules even though you've uninstalled it.
    I had uninstalled, then installed it again, because I saw no difference. I only discarded old rules and bested the others,

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Try this. It should clear your iptables rules:

Code:
    sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT && sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT && sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT && sudo iptables -F && sudo iptables -X
    verify it worked with:

Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    IT NOW WORKS!!!!

Holy cow. Don't know why, because through firestarter I supposed I had allowed SMB ports inside LAN (after all, outside the LAN the router is also supposed to stop them, but I don't trust my router much either).

I suppose I'll begin again with a short set of rules 8) And I must learn something about iptables, because it looks like firestater does not a great job setting it up.

Thanks a lot to all the people, and specially jetsam. 8) I owe you all a cyberbeer. XD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Samba shares: work under Windows, don't work under Ubuntu

Excellent. I'm glad I could help.

To tell you the truth, I don't even use Firestarter because I've read it's hard to get working with Samba. I do think my router does a pretty good job as a firewall.

This thread on the forums looks like it has a good explanation of the problem and may help you explore further:
    Samba and Firestarter-- the real story

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12