Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu & Windows Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu & Windows Vista

I dont know about written linear instructions. But you can just use gparted to clean out your windows, and then resize your ubuntu to the full size.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want Vista back in the future make sure you have the install CDs/DVD. I decided to go with XP on a small partition and just throw out Vista all together, though before doing that I tested the CDs that came with the laptop (Windows Vista CDs) and they actually are not operating system (Vista) install CDs, they are only for recovering back-up data.

Actually, if anybody is familiar with the:
    "Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers: Satellite A200 Series: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1" CDs
    ...that come with Toshiba laptops, and if you know that they do in fact offer for re-installing Vista from scratch (and are not just used for recovering back-up files), it'd be good to know if they do that. I didn't see anything related to fresh OS install on them.

If Vista used less hard drive space I'd probably use it as my left-over partition other than XP. Vista's otherwise too "fat".

Beans
    Distro

The toshiba things allow you to restore a partition. So it doesnt have to be the entire drive. Just for future reference.

On my previous computer, the Windows XP validation key was somehow linked to where the Windows partition started on the hard drive. After I moved the starting point of the Windows partition, I had to fix the Windows bootloader, then get a new validation code by calling Microsoft.

I don't know if it works that way for Vista, but I imagine it does.

Probably the validation had something to do with the fact that Windows came pre-installed with the computer, so it did not like being moved. Your results may differ. Changing the Windows partition size, by moving its end point, was not a problem.

Beans
    Distro

That would be a vendor specific method though. My toshiba didn't have that same issue. What brand of comptuer did you have. Also, I should mention. I have 2 toshiba laptops. and My parents have 3, and my brothers both have 2 as well. And none of them have this issue.

But if you have a single use XP license you may have to call before you can reinstall. Toshiba's use ghost to reinstall your computer and it uses some sort of license key that just works when you restore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12