Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.04 did work but only the once...

Beans

Angry 8.04 did work but only the once...

Everyhting seemed to go well at first... After trying several previous releases of ubuntu with no success on my laptop I approached 8.04 with low expectations.
    Installed via windows with wubi... fine
    Reboot into ubuntu, install continues.... fine
    install complete, sign in... fine
    play with ubuntu for a few hours, try KDE desktop, install Opera browser... fine
    Switch everything off, go to sleep... fine
    Dream of a laptop without Windows... fine
    Wake feeling refreshed and switch on laptop along with coffee machine... not fine
    tackling something called busybox with my java... not fine
    posting this thread from XP... because it works
    Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 8.04 did work but only the once...

The busybox prompt is from the minimal root shell off the initial ramdisk; something went wrong mounting your actual root filesystem. I've had this happen to me too.

Is your problem persistent? After booting Vista, the next time I tried to boot Ubuntu it came up apparently OK.

Beans

yes the problem is persistent. Is there a way to mount the partition manually? Also, why would it work first time round but not now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Ubuntu "disk" is on the Vista partition, so any fileystem problem with Vista can corrupt your Ubuntu disk. I'm not saying that's what happened, but your story sound remarkably like the one on ITWire, and he was running Vista, too. I think Wubi is most tested on XP.

Beans

I am running XP

Beans

Smile Re: 8.04 did work but only the once...

hey, just reporting back that reinstall did the trick. I'm just gonna be a bit more careful until I get my head round how Linux works. Running Gnome and Firefox now... have been put off experimenting with stuff til I know what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help guys... I'll be right back if anything else goes wrong!

Glenn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I still dont like the idea of Wubi. If you can, try shrinking XP's partition a little and installing Ubuntu natively in the free space. It might even come in handy some day if XP decides it isnt going to load; Ubuntu can rescue your data.
    Please thank me! -> Yes, I am that shallow.
    I have Ubuntu on my laptop, Kubuntu LMCE on my media center & Xubuntu on my server. Anyone want to employ me as teacher so I can run Edubuntu?

Beans

Thanks Gav. My laptop has a 40gig hd split into equal windows and linux partitions and after less than a day of ubuntu I'm considering ditching the windows completely
    That said, ubuntu doesn't seem to be such a space hog as windows... and everything seems to run a little faster too. I can see why this thing is getting to be so popular, especially with people who have older and lower spec'd hardware>>> 5 year old laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I still dont like the idea of Wubi.
    You are right that there are con's as well as pro's.

If you want to run an ubuntu install but you don't want to repartition, Wubi is great. For example, I just used it on a newish Toshiba laptop that is dual-booting Vista and Linux. Unfortunately, the dedicated Linux partition currently has Redhat Enterprise 5.1 on it for some consulting work, and I don't want to shrink any of the existing partitions further. So using Wubi to get it to triple boot with Ubuntu was great.

However, the decreased performance of Wubi, increased risk of disk corruption, and mind-bending complexity for troubleshooting makes using separate partitions the generally superior choice and default recommendation. Particularly since the installers will shrink windows partitions for you these days (if they are defrag'd first).

So yes, separate partitions for anyone who can deal with them, but options like Wubi are nice for some of the other cases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lemming465 View Post
    You are right that there are con's as well as pro's.

If you want to run an ubuntu install but you don't want to repartition, Wubi is great. For example, I just used it on a newish Toshiba laptop that is dual-booting Vista and Linux. Unfortunately, the dedicated Linux partition currently has Redhat Enterprise 5.1 on it for some consulting work, and I don't want to shrink any of the existing partitions further. So using Wubi to get it to triple boot with Ubuntu was great.

However, the decreased performance of Wubi, increased risk of disk corruption, and mind-bending complexity for troubleshooting makes using separate partitions the generally superior choice and default recommendation. Particularly since the installers will shrink windows partitions for you these days (if they are defrag'd first).

So yes, separate partitions for anyone who can deal with them, but options like Wubi are nice for some of the other cases.
    Is it be possible to remove windows and keep linux when you've installed it with wubi? they are on seperate partitions so I'd just have to tell it to boot off linux partition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast