Thread: Recommendations for RAM exapansion?

Beans

Recommendations for RAM exapansion?

working on my GF's computer i couldnt notice its running slower then a turtle after smoking to much marijuana i decided to give it a closer look.

lshw showes that:

Code:
       *-cpu
              product: Pentium III (Coppermine)
              vendor: Intel Corp.
              physical id: 1
              bus info: cpu@0
              version: 6.8.3
              size: 800MHz
              width: 32 bits
              capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    which is for itself could be okay unless the fact of the very strange memory size:

Code:
         *-memory
              description: System memory
              physical id: 0
              size: 383MB
    since this size of 383MB wasnt familiar to me (and to all opinions is quite small) i decided to open it. I was schocked, 3 SDRAM sticks ... 3 and still so slow?

well apperantly one is at the size of 62MB, 256Mb and something non undestandable else.

Now to my question: should it theoretically not be better to throw the weird SIM away, i beleive it might slow all down?

Shouldnt it be better to throw all 3 away and to get a decent memory? I wouldnt wanna go to far though, remembering its just a modest 800MHZ P3.

I would be happy for opinons and recommendations,

Cheers, Amit.

Re: Recommendations for RAM exapansion?

I would get 512 mb for it. I believe you can put up to 2 gb ram, but for that machine, 512 mb ram should do just fine.

Use a live cd and do a mem86 test to make sure the ram is still good.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine