Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon iP2600....anyone?

Beans

Re: Canon iP2600....anyone?

almikul and saatu....

Thank you both very much !!! I've been searching the forums for hours, and now happily printing once again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks to aimikul and saatu. If you are still having problems, get the debs from entry #15 above, and install. Common first, then ip2600. Go to printing under administration menu, and click add printer. When it finds it, follow the instructions for adding the printer, and tell it to print a test page. It offered to print on my machine. It may give you a fault about insecure filter. If it does, run the 4 commands in terminal that are listed in entry #20 above. You may have to delete the printer and reinstall after you do the commands. Try another test print. Mine is working fine now. Thanks again to the folks who figured this out. I now have my printer back, not a paperweight. My next printer may be an HP because they seem to offer much better support for Linux..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by almikul View Post
    Some minor update: when I installed IP2600 with my own modified packages, the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij was owned by me and not root. It is supposed to be owned by root, so if it is not, then you should manually set the ownership to root by doing

Code:
    sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij
    Hope it helps.
    Thanks. I have been fighting this since October.Your rebuilt debs and change to root fixed my problems.

Beans

thank you, my ip2600 works flawlessly now.
    had the "insecure filter" error but after changing the permissions to root it now works!

Beans

Re: Canon IP2600 in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by almikul View Post
    For those who cannot install packages
    • cnijfilter-common_2.90-1_i386.deb
    • cnijfilter-ip2600series_2.90-1_i386.deb

due to missing libcupsys2 in Karmic Koala (9.10), you can modify these packages as described in this tutorial.

Alternatively, you can download the following packages that I have modified myself Of course, the order of installation remains the same: common -> IP2600.

rebuilt_common.deb
    rebuilt_ip2600.deb

THEN DO THIS...

Code:
    sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij
    This was awesome,

Worked like a charm! Cheers to almikul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm complete newbie so please understand I don't know all the commands or how to really use the terminal.

I'm using ubuntu 9.10 amd64bit reading up it seems you can force the installation of these drivers but I don't have a clue how to do that. I've tried reading all the guides but its practically French to me

I have a canon pixma ip2600 and it wont print at all. So if someone can give a complete step by step on this I would be in your debt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs up Re: Canon iP2600....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kurotsuno View Post
    I'm complete newbie so please understand I don't know all the commands or how to really use the terminal.

I'm using ubuntu 9.10 amd64bit reading up it seems you can force the installation of these drivers but I don't have a clue how to do that. I've tried reading all the guides but its practically French to me

I have a canon pixma ip2600 and it wont print at all. So if someone can give a complete step by step on this I would be in your debt.
    I have just gone through installing a pixma ip2500 and the process is basically the same as with the ip2600. So I will go through it step by step because it drives me nuts when some one posts that they have solved a particular problem but doesn't give a full explanation of how they did it. Taking in to account that inexperienced users and experienced users might need tot do the same thing.

Step 1. Download the packages posted by almikul in post #15
    and move them to your home folder (makes it easier with terminal)

Step 2. Open terminal from Applications/Accessories menu

the packages are 32bit so if you double click the file to install deb package manager will give you lots of red writing and won't install them
    but you can force install it through terminal (if you read this page and the command to do it)

Step 3. OK so you have terminal open it will be looking at your home folder by default cut and paste (ctrl+shift+v in terminal) this >
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture rebuilt_common.deb
    when terminal has completed this cut and paste this >
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture rebuilt_ip2600.deb
    In both cases remember to scroll to the end of the line and press enter to start the process you will be asked for a password which is the password you login with.

step 4. in the same terminal run
    Code:
    ldd cifip2600
    the output will tell you which files the driver can't find if you post the result of this command I can make a list of commands to run to solve that issue.

I will check back soon for your reply.

good luck!
    Ubuntu user number # 29587

I'm Jet Black, 36 years old. I'm often told I don't look 36, but you shouldn't judge people based on appearances... or on how much hair they have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

After I ran those codes I ran the code above to sort the filter error and it is now printing. Just trying to figure out how to network it to all the other computers now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

there's a how to in the Ubuntu documentation

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu

and there are probably plenty of forum threads about the subject.

and sometimes things just work without any fiddling about got a canon scanner plugged it in and it worked after not working on vista
    Ubuntu user number # 29587

I'm Jet Black, 36 years old. I'm often told I don't look 36, but you shouldn't judge people based on appearances... or on how much hair they have.

Beans

Re: Canon IP2600 in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by saatu View Post
    I solved this and my canon ip2600 is printing back again.

Ran the following commands:

sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chown -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/filter
    sudo chgrp -hR root /usr/lib/cups/backend

Thanks all for your help
    I also had to:

sudo chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
    sudo chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend

also for those trying to get cups-pdf to work, you might have to manually create the folder ~/PDF

mkdir ~/PDF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast