Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what *butnu de you recommend?

Beans

Re: what *butnu de you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Famicommander View Post
    You might try Fluxbuntu if you want an Ubuntu derivative. I've successfully installed it on a computer with 48MB of RAM.
    This is a good idea actually... I did not think about this option. This way you could have Ubuntu and your small RAM as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fluxbuntu would probably be your best option.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Booting from the CD might be tricky with that old hardware. Linux can breath life into older hardware but it's no miracle worker. Best of luck.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans

I've looked at Fluxbuntu and didn't care for it; I didn't give it much time, though, so take this opinion with a grain of salt. You could try installing Xubuntu - the stated minimum is 64 Mb, and you might squeak by anyway (but it may be a little heavy on the computer). Is the hard drive 8 Gb? 80 doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm been experimenting with some other distros on an old P3/500 MHz. I've got the advantage of RAM - started with 128, got it up to 320. Of what I've tried so far, I've liked Zenwalk, which is pretty fast, despite the old hardware. Xubuntu runs nicely (it did even on 128 Mb RAM). I have a thread going for this experiment, which is mostly an excuse to explore other versions of Linux. If you're looking for other ideas, there are several on that thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have had some success with Xubuntu 6.06 LTS (alternate install disk) on minimal machines but have had no luck at all getting it to install a printer. Damn Small Linux has a really mickey mouse printer install and setup but I did get it to work and DSL can be easily installed on your hard drive.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I received an old IBM 600e a few weeks ago and I posted a thread similar to this. I hadn't even heard of Puppy or DSL until everyones suggestions. I run both via the liveCD but personally I prefer Puppy. Not too much trouble getting wireless etc. working so I'd definitely recommend it
    Dell Inspiron e1505 - 10.10/Windows 7
    HP Mini 1030NR - Jolicloud 1.2
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Ubuntu User # 19787 | Linux User #461129

Beans

for such a machine, get hold of the alternate disc and do a command line install and from there on build upon it with only apps that you will use and preferable those that are CLI based. use a WM only, like awesome, openbox, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12