Thread: [SOLVED] New build This will likely be my last build for many years to come. I unders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[SOLVED] New build This will likely be my last build for many years to come. I unders

This will likely be my last build for many years to come. I understand that the Opteron series processors are the way to go for optimum performance. I don' know what the differences are between Phenom, and Opteron workstation or server Quad Core processors. Since I work so much I don't have time to do in depth research. My needs are photo and video editing, CAD/CAM, and some gaming (nothing intense) and internet. Will Dual boot (2 hard drives) WinXP and Ubuntu Linux. Decided to bite the bullet and go quad rather than end up with a left over processor later. Compatibility with Ubuntu would minimize need for workarounds. I understand that the latest Ubuntu (8.04) has solved any problems with the Opteron. Also want to use ATI or most compatible video, and a motherboard with dual channel, as well as make a good choice in memory (2 to 4 GB), sound can be on board as long as it works. Will be starting from scratch case and all. I don't know enough about choosing components that work well together to make good choices, so some guidance is needed. All suggestions are welcome. Will begin buying components in a week or so. Lee
    Ubuntu 13.10, Linux user 471807,Ubuntu user 22176,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New build This will likely be my last build for many years to come. I understand

Sorry not much of a hardware person but here is a link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

Good luck!

PS In my opinion, paying the price for the latest and greatest isn't work the coin.

When I do research hardware I go to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html
    Last edited by garyedwardjohnston; April 30th, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: adding info