Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Server

Quote Originally Posted by Artan1s View Post
    "DC++ is an open source client for Windows for the Direct Connect network."
    I gave you a second link. Verlihub is the piece of software which lets you install the DC++ hub onto a Linux box. (You can also install YnHub as a Windows DC++ Server)

Then, you can have friends connect to the hub (running on either Windows or Linux) via DC++ (Windows) or LinuxDC++ (Linux)

Linux Client DC++ Website: http://linuxdcpp.berlios.de/articles.php?um=index

Verlihub or YnHub = DC Servers (Hubs)
    LinuxDC++ or DC++ = DC Clients

Beans

Ahhh, I overlooked the second link, my apologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ahhh, I overlooked the second link, my apologies.
    Anywho, I'm not trying to convince you into using DC, because it may not be what you want.

That being said, running a hub is fairly simple, and is much easier to do now that Verlihub is in the Ubuntu repository (all you need to do is run 'apt-get install verlihub'). There is also a front end to the server hub called VHCP.

http://vhcp.verlihub-project.org/

What this does is it provides you with a graphical interface to change all the hub settings (share limits, bot names, etc) via the web. So you can change any of the hub settings online anywhere in the world.

If you have questions feel free to ask about DC or any of the other options mentioned.

Beans

Actually, I have a question along similar lines:

I'm looking at building a small home file/media server. While I've heard of good features from WHS, I don't want some of the bugs and the large price tag is not so cool either. I want more functionality than an NAS box, too. I'd eventually like to use the server to manage "family information", like synching up calendars with computer/devices on the network, contacts, leaving meassages for eachother, etc. Hence I'm looking at using Ubuntu.

I would just like to know if I can easily set up Ubuntu (desktop or server) to do some (actually more like all) of the following:

- Automatic backups of my computers on the network (about 3-5 total)
    - Allow my XP Desktops to access files on the server (not via http, but more like a network drive[s])
    - Stream music/video from the server to my squeezebox, etc
    - I'm assuming Ubuntu will auto-update, but I'll throw it in here anyway.
    - Have some form of Permission and encryption systems. I'd like my taxes, and finances, etc to stay secure and use the permissions to keep, say the kids, from accidently deleting my taxes, subpoeanas, music, etc.

So, I guess, my question is Ubuntu what I'm looking for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you kinda hijacked a thread here. I'm just gonna drop this link on you, http://www.amahi.org/ and then quietly walk away. Next time start up a new thread so that answers don't get muddled up. Makes it easier when someone is looking for solutions 6 months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by denyasis View Post

I'm looking at building a small home file/media server. While I've heard of good features from WHS, I don't want some of the bugs and the large price tag is not so cool either. I want more functionality than an NAS box, too. I'd eventually like to use the server to manage "family information", like synching up calendars with computer/devices on the network, contacts, leaving meassages for eachother, etc. Hence I'm looking at using Ubuntu.

I would just like to know if I can easily set up Ubuntu (desktop or server) to do some (actually more like all) of the following:

- Allow my XP Desktops to access files on the server (not via http, but more like a network drive[s])
    - Have some form of Permission and encryption systems. I'd like my taxes, and finances, etc to stay secure and use the permissions to keep, say the kids, from accidently deleting my taxes, subpoeanas, music, etc.

Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans

How would my roommates upload their files.

Thanks so far both of you, great info so far.
    When you have an apache HTTP server running (comes default with LAMP), all you have to do is install SSH:

sudo apt-get install ssh

then your room mates can happily connect to your server and upload their files through ssh with a program like FileZilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by denyasis View Post

Please start a new thread, more people will be able to help you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12