Thread: What should I do before I upgrade?

Beans

What should I do before I upgrade?

It's a very simple question, I know, but I'd like to put it to the forum anyway. I'd like to upgrade to 8.04, but I want the transistion to go as smooth as possible. When I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10, I just wound up doing a total reinstall. I'd rather not do that this time becuse I don't want to have to redo all of my configuration files and reinstall all of my software.

So, what should I backup? Are there any problem areas that this upgrade has? Should I consider waiting to upgrade? Is there any good backup software? Any other random hints to make this a nice, easy upgrade experience?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What should I do before I upgrade?

This might be something you're interested in: http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/...own-partition/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What should I do before I upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by elustran View Post
    ... When I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10, I just wound up doing a total reinstall...
    Been there got the t-shirt. Now I boot with a SystemRescueCd and do a full partition backup using partimage. There is a pretty good tutorial on how to use it in the psychocats link in my signature.

Its just nice to know I can go back to a working install easily if things don't work out right.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ