Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gnome hangs on 'quit' button

i'm having the same problems with ubuntu hardy heron.

most of our desktops in office, after being used for around 8 hours or so, the gnome hangs when people tried to hit the power button on the top right of the gnome panel. i need to control+alt+backspace and choose safe xterminal in order to type a command: sudo poweroff. tried to login back with the gnome login session but never worked out, the gnome just hung.

i've searched through google and tried the kernel boot option with noapm, noacpi, or both, but it still didn't work out.

my people in office use to have gambas 1, openoffice, firefox, pidgin, and thunderbird, running at office hours. when the time to go home they try to shut the system down and it just hung.

we're experiencing this issue the very start of 8.04 until 8.04.2. almost a year i've been left with questioning how to solve this problem. i could just switch to 9.04, tried this one couple of days and it didn't hang after 8 hours of usage, but it will takes time to upgrade, and rebuild the local repository i've build.

it seems to me the 7.04 feisty fawn is more stable.

Beans

I use Hardy 8.04.
    Had problem with the long delay when shutdown is clicked.
    Fixed it with :

The power manager daemon was unticked.
    SYSTEM > PREFERENCES > SESSIONS > STARTUP PROGRAMS. Scroll down and tick Power Manager

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the reply, i've waited over 1 hour but the long delay seems keep hang there. *shrugs

i'll try with your suggestion to the left over machine in ubuntu 8.04. i have reinstalled some of the machines to 9.04 since 9.04 didn't have this symptom.

Beans
    Distro

somehow it finally stops hang on quit after i change all the setting in sound from pulseaudio to alsa.

disable, restart, and re-enable the power manager in the system > preference > session > start up.

i also change the pidgin sound preferences from pulseaudio to alsa since it sometimes crashes while using yahoo messenger.

for now the system is quite responding to restart and shutdown though after using openoffice 2.4.1, gambas 1.0.18, pidgin, and firefox 3.10 in a long 8 hours straight. hope this normal situation will continue for last.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123