Thread: Compiz Fusion How-To?

Beans

Compiz Fusion How-To?

Can someone redirect me to a compiz fusion installation how-to for Hardy 8.04? I've googled already but most of what I find is a bit old.

Beans

Re: Compiz Fusion How-To?

If you're running Ubuntu (and not Kubuntu or Xubuntu), it should be installed by default. Just find Advanced Desktop Effects (or something along those lines) in the menus and try to enable stuff.

I'm not sure, but you may need to manually install the extra fusion plugins ("experimental") if you want those. Just open up Synaptic, search for compiz-fusion and toggle relevant results for installation.

Also, while not necessary, I suggest you also grab the compizconfig-settings-manager package, to get the real config app instead of the dumbed-down Advanced Desktop Effects one. You are, of course, free to choose which one to use, but the real one (ccsm in short) is superior in every way. It's more advanced and complicated, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    If you're running Ubuntu (and not Kubuntu or Xubuntu), it should be installed by default. Just find Advanced Desktop Effects (or something along those lines) in the menus and try to enable stuff.

I'm not sure, but you may need to manually install the extra fusion plugins ("experimental") if you want those. Just open up Synaptic, search for compiz-fusion and toggle relevant results for installation.

Also, while not necessary, I suggest you also grab the compizconfig-settings-manager package, to get the real config app instead of the dumbed-down Advanced Desktop Effects one. You are, of course, free to choose which one to use, but the real one (ccsm in short) is superior in every way. It's more advanced and complicated, though.
    There isn't any 'Advanced Desktop Effects' anywhere in any menus, but I did DL the settings manager you mentioned but it's as if Compiz Fusion isn't install because anything I set in there doesn't seem to work.

Do you think it isn't installed? I'm running Hardy.

EDIT: Whoops, it is working!
    Last edited by Justin125; April 26th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

System>Preferences>Appearance

Go to Visual Effects tab and click Normal or Extra to enable Compiz Fusion.
    Remember: With great power comes great current squared times resistance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the yawner View Post
    System>Preferences>Appearance

Go to Visual Effects tab and click Normal or Extra to enable Compiz Fusion.
    Yeah, I did that and it works good now.

Beans

Arr, that's what happens when you haven't run Gnome in a year. :>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Angry Re: Compiz Fusion How-To?

Can someone help me with Compiz Fusion please!? I'm dying here. Here's my story. I installed compiz-git, from a script I found in the forums, and I uninstalled the script because it was buggy, then I tried to get ccsm from the terminal and now I'm getting errors. I don't know how to fix it. Help pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase.

Beans

Can't promise you it'll work, but try this.
    Code:
    $ sudo aptitude purge ~ncompiz ~nemerald ~nlibdeco
    $ sudo aptitude update
    $ sudo aptitude install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager emerald