Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

Beans

Red face Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

_
    Last edited by djteo; April 29th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

well can you ping yahoo.com using the octet?
    click applications - accessories, then select terminal

IF you can then it is a DNS server issue and then it is easy to fix.
    scott@scott-desktop:~$ ping 66.94.234.13
    PING 66.94.234.13 (66.94.234.13) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 66.94.234.13: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=90.0 ms
    64 bytes from 66.94.234.13: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=90.7 ms
    64 bytes from 66.94.234.13: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=90.2 ms

--- 66.94.234.13 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 90.000/90.327/90.741/0.308 ms
    scott@scott-desktop:~$

scott@scott-desktop:~$ ping yahoo.com
    PING yahoo.com (66.94.234.13) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from w2.rc.vip.scd.yahoo.com (66.94.234.13): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=90.0 ms
    64 bytes from w2.rc.vip.scd.yahoo.com (66.94.234.13): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=89.7 ms
    64 bytes from w2.rc.vip.scd.yahoo.com (66.94.234.13): icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=93.3 ms

--- yahoo.com ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 3 received, 25% packet loss, time 3001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 89.744/91.069/93.380/1.676 ms
    scott@scott-desktop:~$

Beans
    Great! Now i can't even connect to the network...
    What do you think the problem here might be? do you think i should connect via Lan after all?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by djteo View Post
    Although my router's network is visible by Ubuntu it just keeps asking me to give the right WEP key, even though i have already provided the right one for 10 times in a row with no luck at all. "Fine" i say no problem i remove the WEP key; Ubuntu connects just fine on the network...but (guess what is it this time??) !!No internet connection!!
    About the wep key, make sure you're choosing the right type of WEP in the dialog. I had a similar problem at first when I got a laptop, and it was because I was choosing "wep passphrase" while I was using a "wep 128-bit hex key".

About the internet connection not working, it could be a number of things... DNS for example, are they set correctly?

Beans
    Let me tell you..My router's default WEP key is 1234567890123 128-bit, Open.
    Now as for the connection, i really didn't set up anything on Ubuntu, i was just trying to connect.. Do i have to use xISP tool or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by djteo View Post
    I have the new Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron 64-bit installed inside Windows XP with 30Gb partitioned to it (Wubi style).
    Linux is a "literate operating system," something that a person coming over from Windows does not realize. Thus you do not use Linux just "as is"---in fact Linux will almost never work as is on your computer---but learn how your computer works and how the Linux kernel works and then use various applications after understanding them. Linux is different from Windows in that it give you a chance to learn all this. See for example: http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/.

Hope this helps,
    Girish.

Beans

Your problems remind me of driver issues. The default wireless drivers in Ubuntu suck. I would recommend using ndiswrapper. You can follow these instructions, but instead of the driver used, use the driver off of you driver cd. Hopefully it will work better.

Beans
    Quote Originally Posted by geeree View Post
    Linux is a "literate operating system," something that a person coming over from Windows does not realize. Thus you do not use Linux just "as is"---in fact Linux will almost never work as is on your computer---but learn how your computer works and how the Linux kernel works and then use various applications after understanding them. Linux is different from Windows in that it give you a chance to learn all this. See for example: http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/.

Hope this helps,
    Girish.
    I would really like to learn linux.I 've been working in windows for 12 years now i feel like i m home inside windows, linux seems hostile to me for now (because i m not used to it). That's why i installed linux inside windows, to feel more secure knowing that i can use windows anytime i can. I wish one day i can say that about linux.I wish i ll see linux as my familiar OS later on. thanks for the guide.

Furthermore i cant understand how LILO or GRUB work and are being configured..

Beans

Yes, wireless connection is one of ubuntu's weak points (lack of good drivers, actually not ubuntu's fault, but that's besides the point).

Ndiswrapper should sort your problems out.

But on fiesty (old ubuntu release) I had the same problem.

Ubuntu could see the network but wouln't accept my wep key.

Instead of the "network manager" I use WICD (or wcid, can't remember). I downloaded it, removed network manager and use wicd to connect to my wireless network. It might be worth a try. (keep the ubuntu cd by hand to reinstall network manager should wicd don't work)

Beans

i had more or less the same problem on my gutsy installation (not wubi but a full install). I typed the correct network key 10 times in a row, but without succes.
    in the end i tried "connect to other wireless network" (you'll see this option when you click on the icon in the taskbar). you can type the name of your network and for the network key there are more options (i think WPA2 personal worked for me). i think i still had to try a few times, but in the end it connected and i've never had any problems ever since...
    i don't know if this works on a wubi hardy installation, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast