Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

Quote Originally Posted by djteo View Post
    I would really like to learn linux.I 've been working in windows for 12 years now i feel like i m home inside windows, linux seems hostile to me for now (because i m not used to it). That's why i installed linux inside windows, to feel more secure knowing that i can use windows anytime i can. I wish one day i can say that about linux.I wish i ll see linux as my familiar OS later on. thanks for the guide.

Furthermore i cant understand how LILO or GRUB work and are being configured..
    I have had some of the same frustrations as you have and I am just starting in Ubuntu (Gutsy). After banging my head against Gutsy for about a week I came to the conclusion that Windows is related to Ubuntu about the same way English is related to Arabic. Windows and Ubuntu are both languages in a real sense. Their structure and syntax are different. Thinking that Ubuntu is made to act like Windows for me does not work. For every similarity there is a dissimalarity. I am thinking of learning Ubuntu in the same manner I would learn Arabic. That is start out from the absolute basics. The parallels will surface in time on their own. There are certain terms and operations that are common to both Operating Systems.

I found a tutorial in the first sticky on this list:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020

It concerns itself with "Loading" It starts out with the most basic of Command Line. I have printed out the tutorial and all of the references and put them in a binder. Then when I open Ubuntu (I have a dual boot machine), I can follow the tutorial. I have taken a red pencil and highlighted the most important phrases. This will allow me to refer back to the folder in times of need.

From all I have talked to the "Command Line" is the lifes blood of Ubuntu. I am working my way through Command Line. It is a new language. It shows the unity of structure of Linux. Every thing starts from /. I feel that learning the absolute basics first will make for a more friendly relationship witth the OS.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck. Ca.

Beans

Re: Trouble on Ubuntu from Windows switch

It was the stupid driver giving me issues!RTL8187B I had to upload the driver to a disk (windows 98 driver) then get it to my desk top, then make it a zip/archive to get it to move to a folder that I created for it. The key was the driver showed up, but it wasn't working. I found that if you right click applications and go to edit menus/administration and there is an option for windows drivers, I got it open and sure enough the driver showed, but didn't work so I had to set it to the new .inf driver (windows 98) that I just put in my files. I gathered directions from all over the place to figure this out. If you need help let me know and I will sit down and re-map it out for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eShootingGuide

Try this as a good wifi troubleshooting guide.

Windows has a massive advantage over linux when it comes to hardware compatibility for one reason: Pretty much all hardware is extensively tested by the manufacturers to make sure it works seamlessly with windows. The Linux community has to make *almost* all possible hardware work with linux with little or no help from the manufacturers.
    Its an ongoing uphill struggle for the time being. But the vast majority of the time you can get all the hardware to work, with a bit of fiddling.
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans

I have found little in the ways of wireless adapters that the ndiswrapper can't solve. However, I haven't tried to many =/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12