Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might WE actually get some good drivers designed by the company themselves

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Might WE actually get some good rivers designed by the company them selves

Oh they would just think we were talking about rivers or something. and leave the forums and never come back nothing big.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Might WE actually get some good drivers designed by the company themselves

Change rivers to [d]rivers ?
    EDIT: I need to type faster.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ah, drivers! i hope so, more and more companies seem to be taking an interest in open source, if not spending some development time on it.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I read some where that by 2010 it might standard place for company's to use open source soft ware.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hope so. In many ways 2007 could looked as a big year for Linux. With so many manufacturers using linux for their small mobile devices (HP, Dell, ASUS etc.) as well as for cheaper laptops and desktops, that they may be seeing a benefit for supporting Linux. I don't think though that any improvement will be overnight but in the long run.

I wonder if this is a sign that manufacturers support for MS is finally slipping.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Their support for MS has been loosened considerably with the failure called Vista, so it all hinges on Windows 7.
    If it's good, I assume OEMs will quietly slip out of the open source area, and if it sucks, I expect to see improvement in that area with major OEMs.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the interesting thing is weather these companies know what their getting into. The linux kernel is not known for accepting any old trashy driver that someone writes even if it comes from the hardware company and even if it works.

I've seen it a number of times on the mailing lists where a company programmer will be criticized because of their bad code and they will be told what needs fixing and to come back when it's done.

This is mainly because the closed source programming world, people don't care about their code and I've seen such bad code compared to the open source world.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    the interesting thing is weather these companies know what their getting into. The linux kernel is not known for accepting any old trashy driver that someone writes even if it comes from the hardware company and even if it works.

I've seen it a number of times on the mailing lists where a company programmer will be criticized because of their bad code and they will be told what needs fixing and to come back when it's done.

This is mainly because the closed source programming world, people don't care about their code and I've seen such bad code compared to the open source world.
    i care more for it to WORK rather than if it's code looks good or bad..

99% of {d}rivers in windows work. I could care less of it's code.

Nvidia's drivers are clearly working and there not open.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    i care more for it to WORK rather than if it's code looks good or bad..

99% of {d}rivers in windows work. I could care less of it's code.
    Yes, if it is closed source, and isn't going to change, it doesn't matter. However, in Open Source, it does matter. That is how things improve.

Linus's kernel took off not because it was the greatest things, but because it was neatly written and the comments were in English (I have read the original kernel, very well done, if limited in function)

Open Source means working with people. If one is going to write something, write it so others can read it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

\o/
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Genetically modified plants is like DRM for the worlds food supply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12