Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: SERP2 built-in webcam and Hardy?

Quote Originally Posted by asmiller-ke6seh View Post
    brijohn,

Could you add your information to the System76 Knowledge base at: http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Main_Page - this will make it easier for all System76 users to find the instruction than having to search the support board.
    Done. This information can now be found under the Desktop Howto's section of the Knowledge base.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will test this next week on our shop computers. If it works well, we will add it to the System76 Driver.

Does it work in 64-bit?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yes, it should work fine under 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I went away, in frustration, from this forum. However, recently I remembered having stomped away in disgust, BUT -

With the release of Ubuntu 9.10, I found that the webcam in my SERP2 (yes, I still have and am still using my SERP2 ... my kids didn't want my "old laptop") is now JUST WORKING - no need to roll my own driver. All I had to do was load Karmic Koala and there it was.

However, when my wife wanted a netbook for use in Grad school, we bought her an Acer Aspire One with Windows 7, and I just installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix over Windows 7 (we will never have any Microsoft product in our home ... not even a Microsoft keyboard or mouse).

That little netbook is really nice. For $300, it does anything she wants, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix make good use of the 600 pixel high display. It cost me less than $20 to buy an ativa 2GB USB memory device. The web camera in that little netbook is so bright in low light that I wish I had THAT web camera in my "old laptop" -- but at least my SERP2 web cam is now working without having to wait for, or employ, a System76 driver. In fact, I no longer use the System 76 driver on my SERP2 - seems that it is totally unnecessary since Karmic,

Ubuntu is certainly a ready for prime time operating system. When I recently bought a brand new, state of the art HP printer (HP Deskjet F4480), I brought it home, plugged it in, and Ubuntu saw it and installed it, completely plug and play. The only thing I needed to do manually was to install the HP graphic Device manager - and that I was able to find in the Ubuntu repository. It even makes it transparent to access and use the scanner in the HP printer/scanner.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456