Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: torrents lock up computer

Beans

torrents lock up computer

Hey guys. I am using xubuntu 7.10 . Any time i try to download a torrent, it locks the computer up, and i have to manually reboot it. I have tried with deluge, bittorrent and bot tornado with the same results. It never errors out, just freezes up. I read something about a blacklist file? but i dont know what that is. Any one have any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: torrents lock up computer

what are you system specs?

Beans

ancient dell laptop. does ubuntu have a spot like windows where i can pull the hardware info?

I forgot to mention that torrents worked for about a week leading up to this, with no major system changes made prior to the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the only one i can think of is device manager, you can find it in add/remove

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Its possible that your laptop is having trouble running Xubuntu. if that is the case, I would recommend Fluxbuntu. I installed it on my friend's ancient laptop and it works like a dream.

Also, I would try Azureus first. Its a great program, give it a shot.
    "I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek." "What is the difference?" "I have no idea."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i had this problem with deluge in gutsy but hardy seems to have fixed it for me
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twright View Post
    i had this problem with deluge in gutsy but hardy seems to have fixed it for me
    unfortunatley, i cant get my wireless internet working with hardy.

THe laptop has no problem running xubuntu, its rather quick. It doesnt freeze up or slowly open items. It just comes to a screeching hault during opening any torrent program.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You could try something like Frostwire that does torrents, but is meant for other stuff.
    If its the torrents themselves that are freezing the computer rather than the program, its possible that your ISP is blocking torrents.
    "I'm not a nerd, I'm a geek." "What is the difference?" "I have no idea."

Beans

I just recently switched to xubuntu on my personal laptop at work, prior to that i was running win xp home. Ive been downloading torrents here for over a year now. I dont think that that is, but to be certain ill try it on another computer later.

Also, some other people here have p2p sharing networks on their pcs, would they still work correctly if the isp has shut off torrents? I know that they arent the same, but you never know.

Beans

this is what i get if i try sudo deluge :

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 132, in <module>
    bus = dbus.SessionBus()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/_dbus.py", line 218, in __new__
    mainloop=mainloop)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/_dbus.py", line 107, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/bus.py", line 121, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I dont speak linux lol, so i dont know if its saying my machine isnt working, or my connection. Obviously im connected to the net though, its how im posting now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast