Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NWN displays black screen when running

Beans

Re: NWN displays black screen when running

Think I read the Platinum Linux version is bugged I would do a platinum search on the bioware site and look into what Leech wrote.
    Back to using Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by vahju
    Currently in work but I have the Plantinum 5 disc version that has SoU and HoU expansions. Any tricks to using the install script that a Linux newbie should know?
    Easy Howto.

1: Enable the Universe repository; Open up Synaptic Package Manager, System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. Enter in your Password. Click on Settings, and select Repositories. Click Add. Then put check marks in the box for Community maintained (Universe) and while you're at it, may as well put one in Non-free (Multiverse)

2: After clickng OK on both dialogs, click Search and type in unshield. It will show three packages, just double click on unshield and it will ask you if you also want to mark libunshield, which is required. Click mark, then cick Apply. Unshield is required by the installer.

3: After downloading the script http://www.paradoxinc.net/~icarus/files/install-nwn.sh right click on it and select properties. Then select the Permissions tab. On the Owner line, put a check in Execute. Click close.

4: Double click on the install-nwn.sh and select Run in Terminal.

5: A terminal window will open, asking if you're installing the CD or DVD version. Select the proper one, then enter. Then it asks for the cdrom path. On Ubuntu, this will be /media/cdrom for the first drive. Next is the install directory. By default this is /usr/local/games/nwn. Change this if you'd like. If you're going to install there, you will need to use sudo. If you don't have multiple people using your computer, then just put it in /home/<username>/nwn. Next it asks for the current patch version that is located in the users home directory (1.66 is the newest patch). Note, if you haven't downloaded the patch (English_linuxclient166_xp2.tar.gz) then it will ask you if you wish to download it.

Important: When the script asks "Do you wish for the script to mount the CD (Y/n)" you'll want to choose NO. This is because Ubuntu will automatically mount the CDs for you when you insert them. For the group, it is safe enough to just hit enter (since you should already be in the users group.)

Last but not least, start inserting the CDs. It starts off with disk 2. (Hint: You'll know when to hit enter on the script, because Nautilus will open up a window showing what is on the CD/DVD you just entered. This shows that it is mounted and the script can do it's thing) To eject a CD/DVD, right click on the icon on the desktop and select eject.

6: There is no step number 6

7: After installation, if you want an icon either on the desktop or on the menu you will need to edit the nwn start up script. Just 'gedit ~/nwn/nwn' and add under the line 'cd /home/<username>/nwn' (without the 's)
    Code:
    # This script runs Neverwinter Nights from the current directory
    7a: For a desktop Icon, simply right click on the desktop, and select Create Launcher. Enter the Name (Neverwinter Nights), You don't really need Generic name or Comment. For the command you can either Browse to /home/<username>/nwn and select the nwn file. For the Icon, you can click on the button that says No Icon, and then browse to /home/<username>/nwn and select nwn.ico.

7b: For a menu entry. Select Applications -> System Toos -> Applications Menu Editor. Then in the left hand column, select Games. Then press the New Entry button. The rest is exactly like installing the desktop Launcher above. Then quit the Menu Editor and you will have a Neverwinter Nights menu entry under Applications -> Games.

8: Now load the game up. After the initial boot screen, you will be asked for the CD-Keys. They are printed inside the front cover of your manual. You will have to enter the key for the Original Neverwinter Nights twice. I have no idea why, but it asks for it twice. The others are only required once.

That concludes the Nwn how to for now. I may (if I have time, which I seem to lately, since I have been laid off for two weeks now) I will clean this up, include screenshots and also add n how to get the Movies to play as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Omnios
    Think I read the Platinum Linux version is bugged I would do a platinum search on the bioware site and look into what Leech wrote.
    Actually it's not bugged at all, follow my instructions (I tried to write them as newbie friendly as I could) It took me long enough... I was in the middle of a few other things and you even did a post while I was writing.

Leech

Beans

I have to say your instructions are awesome and have gotten me alot closer. When it prompted me for the update I tried to type in the name of the file and for some reason that didn't work, so I said yes to download update.

Now NWN loads but I can't see the text of any of the main menu items and only have access to main client and SoU. There is no entry for HoU. Does this installer account for SoU and HoU?

I only got prompted 3 times for my keys (could not see text in buttons). First two times put in Main client key, then third time put in SoU. Did not get prompted for HoU. Is there some key related files in nwn directory that I should delete so I can retry or do I need to download other update files.

Since you helped me a great deal my turn to help you. If your job seeking in IT world try CompuCom and Oxford & Associates. I currently work for CompuCom and its a good company. Oxford & Associates is a IT placement firm mainly dealing with contract to permanent positions. O&A (no references to Oppie & Anthony) has regional offices just in case your overseas.
    Last edited by vahju; October 21st, 2005 at 03:18 AM.

Beans

I was able to figure out the last part by downloading update for HoU from bioware and extract into nwn directory. I was then prompted for HoU key and badda bing I was able to login and play online.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience. If you ever feel like playing nwn I habit Neversummer MidWest under PW Action. I plan on make a character with _Ubuntu as part of the name to show my support.

The moderators can mark this one solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It's really nice to hear you got it Solved ^^
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by vahju
    I have to say your instructions are awesome and have gotten me alot closer. When it prompted me for the update I tried to type in the name of the file and for some reason that didn't work, so I said yes to download update.

Now NWN loads but I can't see the text of any of the main menu items and only have access to main client and SoU. There is no entry for HoU. Does this installer account for SoU and HoU?

I only got prompted 3 times for my keys (could not see text in buttons). First two times put in Main client key, then third time put in SoU. Did not get prompted for HoU. Is there some key related files in nwn directory that I should delete so I can retry or do I need to download other update files.

Since you helped me a great deal my turn to help you. If your job seeking in IT world try CompuCom and Oxford & Associates. I currently work for CompuCom and its a good company. Oxford & Associates is a IT placement firm mainly dealing with contract to permanent positions. O&A (no references to Oppie & Anthony) has regional offices just in case your overseas.

That's great you got it solved, and thanks for the job seeking advice, oddly enough I am looking for a job. It always stinks when you get laid off.

I've found when you get no text, it is a permissions issue. I find it easier just to wipe out and start over on the install if that happens, of course copy any save files you may have.

Leech

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leech View Post
    I've found when you get no text, it is a permissions issue. I find it easier just to wipe out and start over on the install if that happens, of course copy any save files you may have.

Leech
    You could try doing a 'sudo chown -R user.user nwn' to take possessions of all the files in the NWN folder (including the folder), or run fixinstall again to see what it says. Always run fixinstall after anything changes...

Beans

Hello,

I can't see anything in there! All I have is a series of boxes to input the codes upon first startup and no indication of text whatsoever!!! CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE?

Beans

Alright, I figured it out... it was indeed an isue with the permissions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast