canon pixma mp470

hi there any body out there could help with installing this printer
    it would be music to my ears

thanks sim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: canon pixma mp470

In a previous thread - it was reported that the MP610 driver gave a good function. It's worth a try - or you have to buy Turboprint!

Look here for the procedure:
    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/se...-or-mp610.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I, too, have an MP470. I tried the 610 drivers, but color was all wonky. The 150 drivers seem to be doing a decent basic job of printing, but I haven't tried scanning yet.

Eric
    It is tragically wrong to believe that the advancement of humanity must occur at the pace of its slowest members. - Zefram Cochrane, Federation (by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For what it's worth (I know this thread is old), but I just scanned with my Pixma MP470 in Jaunty (using the MP150 driver for the printer--I don't know if that matters for the scanning program). I used the XSane program that came with Jaunty.

Everything was quick and easy and seemed to work fine. I wasn't doing anything complicated; it was just so I could email a document. However, I started and was done within two minutes.

Eric
    It is tragically wrong to believe that the advancement of humanity must occur at the pace of its slowest members. - Zefram Cochrane, Federation (by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens)

Beans

Thanks, that worked for me.

Thanks for replying even the old post sometimes it comes into help for somebody.
    like me

Beans

I have had great success with this printer by installing sane and guttenprint from cvs. It sounds like the scanner is working fine for everyone, so here is a simple how to for installing the print drivers.

To build the drivers you will need to have build-essential installed
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    1. Download the latest version of the drivers from http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

I recommend checking out from cvs so you can easily do updates of course to do this you need cvs installed
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cvs
    then checkout from cvs. First cd into the directory where you want the source code to be downloaded then type
    Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@gimp-print.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gimp-print login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@gimp-print.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot gimp-print co -P print
    Then Build the package
    Note: If you already have guttenprint installed you should uninstall it first. If you have installed it previously from cvs just do make clean
    cvs up and you are ready to re-install.
    Code:
    automake
    ./configure --prefix="/usr" --enable-cups-ppds
    make
    sudo make install
    Note: I used the Canon MP160 driver which seems to work great.