Thread: Should I partion large data drives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Should I partion large data drives?

I just ordered two 500GB WD SATA hard drives and a Syba SD-SATA-4P SATA PCI controller card for my home server.

Should I partition the drives? They both will be used only to store files on the file server (Ubuntu will be kept on the 30GB drive), I have no reason to do RAID as all the files already have backups in the form of CDs, DVDs, and other computers, and I prefer to have the extra storage vs. improved speed.

Would there be any performance or reliability improvement by partitioning the drives and making multiple smaller drives? I can't think of any, but I'm still fairly new to Linux so I thought I would ask. I use Samba to do the file sharing. I might run a mail server and/or personal ftp server in the future, and again, only the data/files will be stored on these drives, not the actual programs.

Thanks!
    AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core, ECS GeForce 6100PM-M2 V2.0 Motherboard
    4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz (1066 Mhz RAM de-clocked)
    1 TB SATA WD Red (Boot), and one 3 TB SATA WD Red
    Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS with XFCE4 desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Should I partion large data drives?

No, don't partition them. Create a LVM volume that spans both drives. It's not RAID, it's a single logical volume that spans multiple physical drives. It can be expanded later, too, if you get more drives. 2 500gig drives will give you nearly 1TB of storage, especially if you use XFS or ReiserFS (Hans' legal troubles notwithstanding).