Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do programs install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Where do programs install?

Hi,

I had a search of the forums and the 7.10 documentation (couldn't seem to find 8.04 docs yet, can't expect everything) and I've not been able to solve my query.

I'm a long time Windows user and obviously programs install to program files by default and I know how to customise this. What I don't know is how to do this in Ubuntu. Where do programs install to? Also, can you customise where they go to (without mass editing of config files, if it is config files then I'll learn later on)?

Thanks in advance,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Where do programs install?

Check the /usr/bin and /usr/share/appname for executables/config files.
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by styphon View Post
    Hi,

I had a search of the forums and the 7.10 documentation (couldn't seem to find 8.04 docs yet, can't expect everything) and I've not been able to solve my query.

I'm a long time Windows user and obviously programs install to program files by default and I know how to customise this. What I don't know is how to do this in Ubuntu. Where do programs install to? Also, can you customise where they go to (without mass editing of config files, if it is config files then I'll learn later on)?

Thanks in advance,
    Most programs are /usr/bin, /bin, or /usr/local/bin. Programs which require root privileges will be in /usr/sbin/, /sbin, or /usr/local/sbin. Changing where a progam gets installed would require modification of the Ubuntu packages.

To find out where a particular program is located, from a terminal:
    Code:
    which programname

Beans
    Distro

Excellent. Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll leave them to install in the default locations for now .

Beans
    Distro

Don't forget /sbin, usr/local/sbin and /usr/sbin

Linux discriminates between 'normal' executables and those used for system maintenance and/or administrative tasks. The latter reside either here or - the less important ones - in /usr/sbin. Locally installed system administration programs should be placed into /usr/local/sbin.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    In linux files are arranged according to function rather than what program they are associated with. So in windows everything GIMP related will be in c:\Program Files\Gimp. In linux however GIMP will be in multiple places, gimp iself will be at /usr/bin/gimp, but will have libraries in /usr/lib/, and icons and other resources in /usr/share, and probably some files other places as well. The FHS defines where and why things are in a linux file system.

As for moving things apt/synaptic don't support that as putting things in non-standard locations, as this isn't very helpful. If you put programs in a non-standard location the system won't know where to look for them, the same for libraries. You can take a little bit more liberties with shared resources like icons, but having them in standard locations makes them easier to use and more likely to "just work".
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJS View Post
    In linux files are arranged according to function rather than what program they are associated with. So in windows everything GIMP related will be in c:\Program Files\Gimp. In linux however GIMP will be in multiple places, gimp iself will be at /usr/bin/gimp, but will have libraries in /usr/lib/, and icons and other resources in /usr/share, and probably some files other places as well. The FHS defines where and why things are in a linux file system.

As for moving things apt/synaptic don't support that as putting things in non-standard locations, as this isn't very helpful. If you put programs in a non-standard location the system won't know where to look for them, the same for libraries. You can take a little bit more liberties with shared resources like icons, but having them in standard locations makes them easier to use and more likely to "just work".
    Thank you. That FHS read was very helpful.

With regards to moving the location of programs, from within Windows it was beneficial for me to have them on a separate partition, along with games and documents on further partitions. I found that this helped performance and allowed me to spread things over other drives. Would I see similar benefits in Linux, and is it even possible, to do this? I know /home can be mounted on a separate partition, but what about programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For big programs such as eclipse, check your /opt directory
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It is possible to make partitions for almost any directory under /. However, the benefit of doing so for directories other than /home is almost nil, at least in my experience. Also, you can check out the directory structure link in my sig for a shorter explanation of what lives where.

Beans

Thank you. That FHS read was very helpful.

With regards to moving the location of programs, from within Windows it was beneficial for me to have them on a separate partition, along with games and documents on further partitions. I found that this helped performance and allowed me to spread things over other drives. Would I see similar benefits in Linux, and is it even possible, to do this? I know /home can be mounted on a separate partition, but what about programs?
    That's actually one of the defining separations between the primary hierarchy at /, and the secondary hierarchy at /usr/. / must absolutely be local to the machine for it to boot, but /usr/ can safely be mounted as a remote file share (possibly even read only and shared between multiple machines) via nfs or some other method. That said there's no reason that / and /usr/ can't be on separate disks. I don't know how much of a performance gain there would be, but it's certainly possible.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast