Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 8.04 issues in my macbook

Beans

ubuntu 8.04 issues in my macbook

I'm new in ubuntu but not scared to try things out, and get in the terminal...so I managed to triple boot my macbook. 90gigs for Leopard, 40g for Windows Vista, 15g for Ubuntu. Vista runs great out of the box! Is true what they say, a Mac is the best windows computer. I wish I could say the same for Ubuntu...here are some issues I'm having.
    1. isight not recognized in skype or ekiga (what ever that other program is)
    2. runs super HOT!!! almost burns my hand on the bottom. so i don't like to stay in ubuntu too long...scared.
    3. video streaming in the internet is terrible. in os x and windows, i can watch anything, anywhere...in Ubuntu I can only watch videos from Youtube. (not msn, cnet.com, or nba.com) i'm also have issues trying to install video plug ins (too complicated for me, like I said..."I'm new in Ubuntu")

I guess that's all I can remember for now. My main concern is with the HOT temps, and the video streaming!! what the deal is?? Can some one help??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: ubuntu 8.04 issues in my macbook

To fix your iSight follow this guide.

Video from those sites you mentioned are streaming in proprietary video formats which Ubuntu can't support out of the box for legal reasons. However, it's perfecting easy to install support for them by going to Applications -> Add/Remove. Then under the Show menu change to All available applications. With the All category selected in the menu on the left search for restricted. This will return two results, go ahead and install Ubuntu restricted extras. You should be able to watch your videos now.

Or, you can do the exact same thing as above by opening a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Then enter your password.

Good Luck!
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply and advice...I`ll try that as soon as I get back from work. I`ll report back with the result! Thanks, at least for now I have hope there is a fix.

Beans

Well, I've followed everything by the text, still nothing works right. Neither the isight nor video streaming didn't work. With out those two...life in Ubuntu is very hard. I need my skype working right, and I like to keep up with tech and NBA watching the videos. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess I need more experience with Ubuntu. I just basically copy and paste, I don't know much of what is going on.

Beans

Try this..
    It worked for me..
    I copied AppleUSBVideoSupport file from mac installation into / directory.. and gave /AppleUSBVideoSupport in the driver path dialog box.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766866

For the heat issue.. Follow this..
    *open terminal
    *type su
    *enter root pass
    *enter modprobe applesmc
    *enter echo 3000 > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min

enter the fan speed of your wish instead of 3000

if you cd into /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/
    There you can see lot of other files.. you can view the values by using more filename and change the values by using echo value > filename

Hope that helps.. Most of this info is in the previous posts and also in the ubuntu documentation..
    Check this http://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Beans

Well, I tried everything posted here and still no luck. I can't find or access that directory were the driver for isight is at. I guess it doesn't exist in my files, or for some reason I can't access them.
    The videostreaming now I can see the pages load up, but never play...even if I choose to open by player externally they won't play.
    The fan speed, I can't find applesmc.768. I've tried going through the terminal, and even directly through files I can access it. I guess I am ignorant and missing something. I'll keep trying this steps, but if some one had similar problems please let me know what you did exactly. Thanks all who posted here!

Beans

unless you load applesmc you cant find those files..

sudo modprobe applesmc

Beans

sign of progress. Thanks to all your help. i was able to fix the fan issue, is running a little cooler.

the isight, i found the isight firmware. But I can't copy it to my /lib/firmware folder

I had installed the isight firmware tools from the synaptic, but i don't know what's next... anybody??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hananias View Post
    I had installed the isight firmware tools from the synaptic, but i don't know what's next... anybody??
    You have to get a copy of that file onto your Ubuntu partition so you can extract the firmware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    You have to get a copy of that file onto your Ubuntu partition so you can extract the firmware.
    Well, I copied it in my desktop, but still I tried to copy from there into the firmware folder and I get message "don't have permission"
    so i don't know how to get the permission to copy and paste the firmware. so even though, the file copied to the desktop that. does that mean it isn't in my ubuntu partition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast