Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID 10 implementation

Beans

RAID 10 implementation

Hi guys. Looking for some pointers here.

Trying to create a RAID10 file server, auxiliary storage really.

This is probably just a really stupid problem on my end, but can't figure it out for the life of me. Seams like basic RAID management really.

4 disks. All identically partitioned.

100 MB /boot, RAID1 with 2 spares (I hear you can't use RAID10 for /boot)
    2 GB swap on each disk (not mirrored)
    remainder of disk is /, RAID10

Everything installed fine.

So I remove a disk just to see what happens. Just testing everything really.

And the system can't boot. MDADM says it doesn't have enough drives to start the array. Well, obviously, I failed one on purpose. Shouldn't the system boot anyway? Isn't that the point of having a RAID, in case a drive fails?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: RAID 10 implementation

I'm not sure, but I think the clusters deployed with MDADM needs the original number of disks to work, ever. Only RAID 1 can work without the exactly number of disks AFAIK.

Try to start the RAID cluster and save a file. Remove one disk and format it. Then put it again on cluster and verify if synchronization is working on it.
    "Linux has half of my heart"
    http://www.adamiworks.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Raid 10 should still work after a loss of a drive. You may try booting into the live CD and rebuilding it. After its rebuilt and in the OS, then remove a disk to test it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameAh View Post
    And the system can't boot. MDADM says it doesn't have enough drives to start the array. Well, obviously, I failed one on purpose. Shouldn't the system boot anyway? Isn't that the point of having a RAID, in case a drive fails?
    AFAIK, raid1 wont function if one disk fail neither will raid 0 or 10. RAID5 and possibly raid 6 continue to run if one drive fail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Here is a good overview of raid arrays.http://www.acnc.com/04_01_10.html Raid 10 has the same fault tolerance as raid 1, which is a mirror. The array will no longer be viable until rebuilt but the data is still there and can be booted as long as grub is installed on that drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And also, Raid 0 is the raid implementation that will not tolerate any failures. One drive dies.....all data gone!

Beans

Raid10 will function in degraded mode if one disk fails.

See the howto on preventing against one failing disk using raid10 at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php...a_failing_disk

your partitioning looks fine.
    and RAID 10 should boot, i tested this on Debian Etch extensively detaching all the disks, not all at the the same time offcourse
    http://www.songshu.org/index.php/setup-raid-10
    this is what i did and this works.

i've also been hearing stories that Hardy RAID 1 has a bug, sounds like exactly the issue, you might just want to team up on launchpad for this
    Last edited by songshu; February 21st, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just curious, why RAID 10? RAID 5 would work much better IMHO. You only need 3 disks to do RAID 5, and you can pull a drive with no problems although the array will be degraded.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Just curious, why RAID 10? RAID 5 would work much better IMHO. You only need 3 disks to do RAID 5, and you can pull a drive with no problems although the array will be degraded.

-Tim
    its a matter of dispute oftenly but with raid10 you can actually loose 2 disks (as long as long as its not the wrong 2) so slightly more secure.
    at the cost of 50% diskspace instead of 30%

its faster, really it makes a difference (especially with linux raid in my experience)

most real problems with raid5 occure when you actually loose a disk and then need to hotswap, usually a disk that has been on stand by will suddenly be put under a big load and this is where percentage wise the moment things bad can happen to a raid5.

as far as i can tell raid10 will give you a little more performance and slightly more security at the cost of some diskspace and a little flexibility if you would like to increase the array at a later point.

this all providing your distubution of choice would ship without bugs in their mdadm package........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast