Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Known Hardy bugs and workarounds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Known Hardy bugs and workarounds

Bug: Synaptic must automatically install packages listed in 'Recommends' field on install and upgrades in the default configuration if packages are to run as expected and without error. It doesn't do so for Hardy; a fix was released for Intrepid, but no backport to Hardy as yet. ( 13 Apr 2009 ) Problem documented in launchpad at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ptic/+bug/8896

Workaround, by Christian Niemeyer, (with a typo correction by me, see below) is as follows:

Add an entry in the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ directory.
    Make a new file in there, e.g. sudo gedit 99recommends
    And paste
    APT::Install-Recommends "true";
    into it.
    Go to Synaptic in Preference and just check if "consider recommendations as dependencies" is active, if not, check the box active.
    Then go >Synaptic >Settings >Filters,
    Make a new one e.g. "Missing recommends"
    Uncheck all boxes, only check the line "broken policy" (which means the apt policy in the config files)
    Reload package information (I guess it is not explicitly necessary).
    And with "Search filters" you have the Filter Missing Recommends.
    Christian's workaround also allows the user to see what the 'Recommends' are by creating a custom filter in Synaptic. ( Frodon, would you please double-check my understanding of that about the custom filter's purpose before editing this into the original post in this thread, if you intend to include it there? Thanks! ) This workaround is documented in

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...96/comments/28 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...96/comments/30 .
    ( That last link immediately above merely corrects a typo error, the necessity of which is confirmed by the workaround's poster, Christian Niemeyer, later in the thread, viz. at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...96/comments/31 . )

Beans

Re: file accidentaly placed in root file by frostwire
    it still will not let me

root@jojom271-laptop:/home/jojom271# sudo nautilus
    Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
    Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** (nautilus:6884): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not supported
    what is error 255

Beans

I was having a similar issue with the old Hardy bug involving sudo hostname resolution. I am using 12.10 quantal quetzal. It was not a bug in my case, probably a user error. Somehow during the install my hostname ended up being ubuntu instead of the hostname I chose. So while the /etc/hosts file had 127.0.1.1 hostname /etc/hostname said ubuntu. After some Google searches I came across this bug and in reading replies deduced that /etc/hosts should match /etc/hostname. I maybe stating the obvious but I didn't see it spelled out in any of the threads that are long since closed. They are however, the first answers that come up in searching this issue so I thought maybe someone should add a note in there that says "Make sure /etc/hosts 127.0.1.1 = /etc/hostname" type of deal. Or maybe this is spelled out better somewhere else and I just didn't know where to look.Just in case someone else has this problem of the mismatch after an install. Again it could very likely be user error but I do remember entering the name I wanted but somehow it only got to 1 out of 2 places it needed to be.

Beans

Old thread closed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567