Thread: How do i install ndiswrapper without internet

Beans

How do i install ndiswrapper without internet

Ok so this is my first install and I am trying to get my box to connect to my wifi network, my wifi card appears to be detected correctly but I dont have a wireless option under networks. After reading the google i think i might need to use ndiswrapper but I cant find a tutorial for installing it that works on hardy. can someone give the steps required to get this installed in hardy from the cd?

Also, is there a wireless network manager somewhere or is it not available until i get the card working properly?

Beans

Re: How do i install ndiswrapper without internet

If you look under the System - Admin - Synaptic Package Manager. Open this and do a search for wireless. Scroll down and check the ndiswrapper. It should install off the cd.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i don't have ndiswrapper in the list after searching for wireless.

my bad, i had to mount the cd.

Now that its installed, im not sure what to do next. I went and added the drivers via the new utility and now i have a wireless option in my network dialog but its greyed out and clicking = no affect.

OK, my bad again, i needed to unlock it, this is kinda brutal but i think im begging to understand how all this works.

HURRAY, IM ONLINE! Thanks to the 500 or so people i had to harass to get to this point.
    Last edited by leotemp; April 29th, 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Beans

Wow, ndiswrapper seem to have come a long way.

I remember trying to install it on gutsy and it was a pain in the *** and I never got it working.

I'm going to search for my old wireless usb adapter so I can finally loose the wire.