Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgraded to 8.04 this morning...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair View Post
    Only real glitch that I ran into was the loss of sound after the upgrade. A quick search of the main forums brought that back though.
    I'm having the same problem, could you please show me who helped you or how you fixed it?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for posting something off-topic here. But I'm at my wits end with trying to figure this out. :/
    Last edited by llirium; May 8th, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Being more polite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Upgraded to 8.04 this morning...

No problem...it is a permissions issue. I'm gonna get killed for this but 8.04 is "sorta" like Vista now in that you (as an Admin) may have to give your self the permission to edit any file/folder on your system now.

That being said, go to System > Administration > Users and Groups. When that loads, you should see a box with your name and root in it. Click once on your name then click Properties. Navigate to User Privileges and take note of the options. I checked off all of them for me here.

Next, click OK and click on root. Nothing may happen now and you may need to "Unlock" it. If so, click Unlock and enter your root password. Now click on root and then Properties > User Privileges and make the same selections here as you did as before making sure that the Use Audio Devices option is also checked. Click OK to close and Close once again.

You should now be able to hear sound when the system beeps or anything else. This is what I did and it worked great.

Now, I'm going to go duck for cover before someone tries to nail me for my Vista comparison. 8^)
    Registered Linux User #414589
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on 8.04 this morning...

I'd say that it's mostly gone very well. Unlike 7.10 my ATI video card is working well! The proprietary driver loaded without a problem and I can run at a decent resolution on my 19" monitor now (1600x1200 now vs. the 1280x1024 that I had run under 7.10). Updated versions of apps are nice, too.

I did notice one odd thing...I tested out my video playback by playing one of the trailers I had from World of Warcraft. It worked fine until I expanded it to full-screen where I then saw some chugging of the video. This didn't happen on 7.10 and I could play full-screen videos with no problem back when I used Windows XP on this box. I'm will to bet it might be an issue with Pulseaudio but I'm going to do more research before I try to place some concrete blame.

Beans
    Hidden!

Update about my video playback experiences...

Well, Pulseaudio likely wasn't the culprit of the problems I mentioned in my previous post. It seems to be Compiz that was the source...I disabled desktop effects and the problems disappeared for the most part.

Guess my system is starting to show its age...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fredfjr View Post
    Well, Pulseaudio likely wasn't the culprit of the problems I mentioned in my previous post. It seems to be Compiz that was the source...I disabled desktop effects and the problems disappeared for the most part.
    There are some interesting problems with Compiz and video in general, and OpenGL applications. It is not necessarily performance related.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123