Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Hardy install woes

Beans

Fresh Hardy install woes

I've toyed with Live CDs and USB before but decided I'd take the plunge with a full HDD install of Hardy, but I'm having just a few problems. I'm trying to dual boot it with an already-there XP install. Please bear in mind that I'm pretty much a linux newbie.

- The 8.04 ISO gives me an annoying BusyBox message when I try to either run it live or install it:

Code:
    BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5Ubuntu12) Built-in Shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)_
    This happens just after it loads the Kernel, and it sits there. And just sits there.

- The 8.04 alt ISO does the same. Both checked with MD5SUM, both fine.

- Tried installing Heron to a USB to install it from there, wouldn't work (wouldn't boot from the drive, went straight to XP. I've used this drive to boot other distros, so I must be doing something wrong or Hardy doesn't like Flash Voyager GTs).

- I've got an old 7.10 Live CD and, oddly, it worked a few days ago but since trying to install Hardy it doesn't: it hangs after loading the kernel with a black screen and my DVD drive makes chugging noises.

I've a nice 10GB partition on my new 500GB hard drive just waiting for Hardy. If you've any tips on how to get it there I'd be very appreciative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Fresh Hardy install woes

Post your specs.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

CPU: AMD X2 5600+ (2.8Ghz)
    GPU: Sapphire 2600XT (256MB GDDR4 model)
    Mobo: MSI K9A Platinum
    RAM: 2 Gig, DDR2 800

Can't quite remember the exact model of optical drive: a NEC Optiarch of some sort. Always figured they were pretty generic anyway, before this started.

No overclocking or other fiddling.

Beans
    Distro

Graphics?

Libertad 584

Beans

Like I said:

Quote Originally Posted by 453 View Post
    GPU: Sapphire 2600XT (256MB GDDR4 model)
    Or are you looking for something else?

Beans

I've had this problem before and it turned out to be the cd drive. The kernel loads and the comp can read the cd but the kernel cant mount it. Does the cd drive work properly in windows? Because that's how i figured out something was wrong with the cd drive. I had to replace the cd drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Invader Amoto View Post
    I've had this problem before and it turned out to be the cd drive. The kernel loads and the comp can read the cd but the kernel cant mount it. Does the cd drive work properly in windows? Because that's how i figured out something was wrong with the cd drive. I had to replace the cd drive.
    That crossed my mind, but it seems to work perfectly in XP. I've loaded a DVD with no hiccups and there's nothing to suggest it ain't fine. And I've no other optical drive to try it with. What really confuses my is my machine's sudden refusal to load the Ubuntu 7.10 disk.

Maybe I should have installed that when it was working and just upgraded, instead of waiting to do a full Hardy install...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 453 View Post
    Like I said:

Or are you looking for something else?
    Sorry, my mistake. There are two things you can do. Some people are having success going into ther BIOS and changing AHCI or IDE to RAID. The other is the Alternate CD or Boot parameters:
    noapic nolapic acpi=off, etc

Libertad 584

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. There are two things you can do. Some people are having success going into ther BIOS and changing AHCI or IDE to RAID. The other is the Alternate CD or Boot parameters:
    noapic nolapic acpi=off, etc
    Thanks, I'll give the boot parameters a go. When you say "noapic nolapic acpi=off, etc" where can I find the rest after "etc"?

Beans
    Distro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast