Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

noynac, you may well have hit the jack-pot.
    I played around with the Halt command and the Reboot command:
    on my configuration (!... careful here)
    - that I take off completely "Shut down via gdm." or not does not do anything;
    - what does the trick is that I save the modification.
    In a same session of Login Windows opened, I deleted the "...", save, then put it back again and save: shut-down was like in the good old days, with the normal progress bar and no garbage.
    Checking with the "quiet splash" option taken off in the grub menu so that I can see what goes on, I only got "System is restarting please wait": (I was on reboot) nothing else, nothing about the network manager etc... So it does the trick... Everything shut-down nicely, at least on my machine.
    The problem is that I cannot keep changing the halt and reboot command at each session. But that way be be a "tilt" for someone who knows???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Popaul View Post
    In a same session of Login Windows opened, I deleted the "...", save, then put it back again and save: shut-down was like in the good old days, with the normal progress bar and no garbage....
    I didn't mention it before but I did the same thing. I don't know how that could make a difference, but I've had good shutdowns for almost a day now.

What is also a bit weird is that the same halt/reboot commmand that shuts the computer down fine in Login Window screen gives the error messages if used in a terminal window. Perhaps there's a reason for this.

It's all pretty strange.

Beans

I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a problem since my Hardy upgrade causing the machine to hang when rebooting. After removing the splash option from menu.lst, I can see that all services appear to stop correctly.

The last message is "[..timestamp..] Restarting..." And then nothing.. I have to hold the Power button until the power is cut completely.

this is the same for reboots and shutdowns..

I have tried the mentioned removal of "..." from the shutdown commmands.. no change..

Has anyone had a similar problem???

Dave

Beans

And my notebook is Dell Inspiron 1520
    C2D 2.5 GHz. It is mainstream Dell Notebook and definitely that hundreds of thousands are using. And maybe 99.99 % is on Vista/XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Popaul View Post
    It is unbelievable that Dell would put this on their hardware. >>

I have faith. Keep using it, but yes, I will not (yet?) push Ubuntu to replace Windows for my company's system.

Beans

Yes, this is the fix to -slow shutdown, throwing error text-
    I can confirm that this fixes the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.

Beans

i did the edit commands in login and network off roaming this solved the problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I tried the changes to roaming and to the login window, and it worked the first time I shut down. Just as popaul says, you have to make the change to the login window each session in order to keep the problem from coming back. How odd is that? Anyone have any thoughts on a more permanent solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The plot thickens.... I think I have found at least one permanent solution.

In the Login Window dialog, under the Local tab, I changed Style from "Themed with browser" to "Plain with browser". Left everything else the same. Since then, I have done 4 restarts and one full shutdown and the problem has not come back.

I am starting to wonder if this problem is not related to another problem I was working on yesterday. I had noticed that in Hardy, the login screen had a resolution of 1600 X 1200 whereas all the user accounts on the system had 1280 X 1024. This resulted in much of the login screen not being visible. I had seen a tip somewhere that you could use "Plain with browser" to solve this problem. But then today I discovered I could change the screen settings for the Virtual mode in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to 1280 X 1024 and everything was fine, so I changed back to "Themed with browser" and selected the Human themed browser. It feels like somehow this should all be related....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

agaudio, I have also this problem of the login screen being too big for ... the screen. But I cannot find anything about virtual mode in the xorg.conf file. Could you give some details please?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast