Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Beans

Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.
    I'm currently experiencing the shutdown/reboot problem on Ubuntu 8.04... but I'm not really able to understanding what your trying to say here... if someone could just copy and paste what the command should say instead of saying what needs to be changed, or post a picture showing the entire command for shutdown and reboot I would be very grateful thanks.
    Last edited by Boktai1000; May 11th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Boktai1000 View Post
    I'm currently experiencing the shutdown/reboot problem on Ubuntu 8.04... but I'm not really able to understanding what your trying to say here... if someone could just copy and paste what the command should say instead of saying what needs to be changed, or post a picture showing the entire command for shutdown and reboot I would be very grateful thanks.
    I'm can't help you with that one, since I don't use GNOME, but I know that this fix worked for me.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

I can confirm that this fix works for me as well. I've just tried it and had two successful reboots and two successful shutdowns in row for the first time since upgrading to Hardy. I had a bit of trouble following the shorthand references in the posts above, so I'll offer a lengthier description for those who may wish to try this.

Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Login Window". In the "General" tab, press "Edit Commands...", which will launch a window titled "Reboot, Halt, Suspend and Custom Command Preferences". In this window, select "Halt command" in the drop-down box for "Command Type:". Underneath it, in the "Path:" box, cut the verbiage in quotes: "Shut Down via gdm." After doing so, press "Apply Command Change", then paste the quoted phrase back into the "Path:" box and hit the "Apply Command Change" button again. Finally, go through the same process for the "Reboot command" in the "Command Type:" drop-down, again cutting the quoted phrase, applying the change, pasting the quote, and applying the change.
    Thanks,Greg it finally works !
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS
    Registered Linux User # 420894
    Registered Ubuntu User # 9207

Beans

Someone just posted another solution on the launchpad entry, which involves not using Network Manager at all. See it here.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Talking Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Note: those where all typed by hand to show my gratitude, as this problem has been plaguing me for ages
    Ubuntu Rocks My Socks.
    Holy Shiznit, That Was Grody, You Bizach.
    Ubuntu Will Feast Upon Your Entails And Devour Your Soul.
    corribcastle.googlepages.com/nightingalegamesinc.

Beans

DAMN, IT ISN'T WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Ubuntu Rocks My Socks.
    Holy Shiznit, That Was Grody, You Bizach.
    Ubuntu Will Feast Upon Your Entails And Devour Your Soul.
    corribcastle.googlepages.com/nightingalegamesinc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

First of all thanks a lot for this explanation which solved the nuissance I was facing for so many days.
    Now as I did the changes I realized that there was something to add to it...It just doesn't work as it is (at least for me)

• If you are not using Compiz advanced settings or if you have 'None' selected in Appearance>Visual Effects, then this solution works as it is. No change.
    • If you are using Compiz advanced setting or if you have enabled different window manager then this solution won't solve your problem just like that. You have to do the following to make it work for you:
      • Select 'None' in System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects.
      • Restart your computer.
      • Now apply the solution. Hopefully it will work as it is and you will no longer see that error while logout and logout time will reduce drastically.
      • Now you can change the appearance once again if you like and use advance CCSM or whatever.
      • I will suggest doing several restarts to see if the solution works for you before enabling advance Compiz settings.

Hope that helps who are still facing this Network Manager error issue while logout.

Thanks
    Knowliz.com
    Ubuntu user # 20905, Linux User # 467410,
    Dell Inspiron 1505, 2GB RAM, Dual Boot with Vista.

Beans

YAY! The login solution works for me. Note: Compiz was off for me but i can't confirm its effect on this solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

As I connect to the interent by a small script running at start up, I uninstalled gnome-network-manager and network-manager.

ALL errors have now gone!
    I have not had them for many weeks now

When I shutdown.. it just goes straight to the usplash

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Thank you very much. I haven't had problems with rebooting, only shutting down (no idea why), so in the file /etc/init.d/halt I changed the line
    Code:
    halt -d -f -i $poweroff $hddown
    to
    Code:
    halt -d -f $poweroff $hddown
    and my computer shut down for the first time in a week (or two, or whatever). It's rather amazing, and it's *buntu generic.

it's work !!!

thank you, thank you...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast