Thread: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Recently upgraded to Hardy. Few teething problems...
    One is what happens when shutting down the PC. Under Gutsy and others, I got the Ubuntu logo and the progress bar going down, then power off.
    Now I get a terminal screen showing the last logging-in words of wisdoms (finishing with Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK] ), and I have to wait about 30-45 seconds then I get the following:
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught signal 15, shutting down normally.
    NetworkManager: <INFO> Caught termination signal
    NetworkManager: <DEBUG> [1209404787.824467] nm_print_open_socks(): Open Sockets List:
    NetworkManager: <DEBUG> [1209404787.824467] nm_print_open_socks(): Open Sockets List Done.
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_hal_deinit(): libhal shutdown failed - Connection is closed
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_dbus_init(): nm_dbus_init() could not get the system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running!

Then the PC shuts down. No big deal, but... The 2 last lines worry me. Is that important? Sign of a problem somewhere? And I would feel better if I could get my ol' shut-down Ubuntu progress bar as before.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in some sort of useful direction!

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Some added info...
    found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=603054
    but all suggestions in it did not work. ACPI=force in fact blocked the starting process in fact. ACPI=off did help for some other problems I got before, so I let it that way in the grub menu.
    Twicking on apm did not change anything at all.
    My Pc is a Compaq, dual core Intel Pentium D.
    There may be also a problem with the battery (maybe linked?) as I realised that on the starting trails on the terminal screen there's a line at some point that says:
    FATAL: error inserting battery (/lib/modules/2.6.24.16 generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko): no such device

But them somewhere below there's also
    Checking battery state [OK]

Any help?

Beans

Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

I have exactly the same problem and nobody seems notice this.
    It's not a big deal but it is a pain everytime I shutdown after presentation and everyone in the room looks at me for about 1 minute wondering what I was doing with my notebook.

It's not serious but it is totally annoying. the screen stuck at the text console for about 1 minute and when it resume, it shows the warning/erro messages below and soon followed with ubuntu splash with progress bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Popaul View Post
    Recently upgraded to Hardy. Few teething problems...
    One is what happens when shutting down the PC. Under Gutsy and others, I got the Ubuntu logo and the progress bar going down, then power off.
    Now I get a terminal screen showing the last logging-in words of wisdoms (finishing with Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK] ), and I have to wait about 30-45 seconds then I get the following:
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_signal_handler(): Caught signal 15, shutting down normally.
    NetworkManager: <INFO> Caught termination signal
    NetworkManager: <DEBUG> [1209404787.824467] nm_print_open_socks(): Open Sockets List:
    NetworkManager: <DEBUG> [1209404787.824467] nm_print_open_socks(): Open Sockets List Done.
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_hal_deinit(): libhal shutdown failed - Connection is closed
    NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_dbus_init(): nm_dbus_init() could not get the system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running!

Then the PC shuts down. No big deal, but... The 2 last lines worry me. Is that important? Sign of a problem somewhere? And I would feel better if I could get my ol' shut-down Ubuntu progress bar as before.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in some sort of useful direction!

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

No.... Does not work. Strange. At first it was okay, but now I have the problems back again, without changing anything. Problem is elsewhere? Anybody could provide some guidance as to where to look?

Sorted! At least on mine.
    After searching on various threads and discussions on Linux sites, and zillions of shut-down, re-boot...
    All is done in the grub menu (/boot/grub/menu.lst).
    Start editing it by typing in a terminal:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

In the file, look for
    ## ## End Default Options ##
    title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=c8d0d37c-d902-4a2b-a912-01df8fee6ab4 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    quiet

Of course the various version numbers etc will vary with your versions.
    On the "kernel" line after "ro", I have "quiet splash": this avoid to have all the command lines scrolling on the screen at start-up.
    Then I added:
    noapic: this is to kill a little message that appeared at start-up just before the Ubuntu progress bar, saying there was a problem with the 8254 timer being 'not connected to IO-APIC'.
    And then:
    acpi=off: that is necessary with noapic. If not, the boot will stop at some point (progress bar stopped at about 1/5 from teh start).
    And finally:
    noapm: that stops all the garbage I got on the screen when shutting down.

Careful at the typing: only one space between each option, and no space within one option. So the end of the kernel line looks like:
    ...12-01df8fee6ab4(your version) ro quiet splash noapic acpi=off noapm

Of course if you have several start option in the grub menu, you should do these mods to every kernel line of each option that gives trouble.

As I understand from various threads, APIC and APM are power management tools for LAPTOPS, useless (well... I hope) for desktop. If I am right, it is a bit bad that these installed themselves automatically even on desktops without these facilities, and put a little mess everywhere. Should I understand that this is bug?

So far it seems okay, except 'perhaps' a start-up that is a bit slower than before, but that maybe me.

It's all fun!
    Last edited by Popaul; April 29th, 2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: No good. Does not work

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Hardy upgrade - Shut down screen problem?

Well, while I did not get any feed-back at all on this, I spent quite many hours googling around on this. Apparently:
    - this does not appear on every machine of course, so it is hardware related, but it seems apparently unique to Ubuntu (other debian distro do not have this bug);
    - it cannot be fixed except by writing a patch (found one site with one, no thank you) to by-pass the nervousness of network manager;
    - this did exist at the beta state of 8.04, but not fixed and the fully blown version was released, knowing full well that this bug was still there;
    - while my problem is only a garbaged screen at shut-down, on some configurations it has more serious consequences. From one Linux forum:
    <<After upgrading, we discovered that we couldn't connect to our corporate servers with 8.04, despite having no problems with 7.10 and previous versions...it is a showstopper>>
    And the conclusion from another Linux forum:
    <<...Would you want to see this on your screen? Is this how an enterprise system should be? Would you consider an operating system that has these kinds of bugs for your corporate desktops? What would the reviewers say if Microsoft released a product with this bug?
    It is unbelievable that Dell would put this on their hardware. >>

I have faith. Keep using it, but yes, I will not (yet?) push Ubuntu to replace Windows for my company's system.

No problem on may amd64 terminal upgrade (from beta version), but I do see some shutdown garbage on the i386 version (installed from CD). I didn't see it before when beta-testing i386. Although I don't have the same messages as you do, nevertheless there is no difficulty other than annoying messages at shutdown (to my knowledge).

I am wondering if those messages are always there, but normally we don't see them due to screen erasure, now disabled? Just a guess. If you've ever tried a Linux version that doesn't use a boot sceen, then you've seen plenty of cryptic messages, some of which sound bad but really don't matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I've had this on three machines since I believe Alpha 5, one is a P4 , the other two are 64bit , one intel one AMD. The machine I'm on now had it whilst on the dev releases ,since then I've fresh installed using the current ISO, Still the same problem .

What with the screw ups with detecting my Envy based soundcard , ( stuck on onboard sound for now) ( A known problem, so many with sound nightmares) & xorg taking away the ability to hand edit xorg.conf for video problems, after all the new xorg knows best!!, I'm more than a little fed up with Ubuntu ,it seems Hardy may have been rushed to release a little.

I'm trying out Arch and so far loving it, it is so far for me the good experience Ubuntu used to be.

Welcome to Winbuntu.....

Beans

And my notebook is Dell Inspiron 1520
    C2D 2.5 GHz. It is mainstream Dell Notebook and definitely that hundreds of thousands are using. And maybe 99.99 % is on Vista/XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Popaul View Post
    It is unbelievable that Dell would put this on their hardware. >>

I have faith. Keep using it, but yes, I will not (yet?) push Ubuntu to replace Windows for my company's system.