Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple File Sharing over a Home Network

Beans

Re: Simple File Sharing over a Home Network

Quote Originally Posted by Deeta View Post
    When you get it to work, take care not to check the 'other' people checkbox when you try to share your home folder
    What will happen is:

-Nautilus will ask you to change permissions
    -next time you start X gdm disallows you to login as other people can 'write' to your home directory
    -super newbie friendly recovery console happy time ensues.

I managed to lock myself out of gnome this way. And if it were not for a secondary computer where I asked for help in the forums it would have been the end of my fun with Ubuntu
    you can change these security settings i believe(i have not tried) in admin-->login, the last tab

Beans

I am pretty well fed-up with this error. I can't get Ubuntu to share the damn files throught Nautilus. I get the 255 error whenever I use the share tab on any disk or folder. What a useless thing it is to get a numeric error without a link to a help file or even a clue. I have searched these forums for help and it ain't helpin.

Beans

'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
    You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share.
    You talking about that error?

If you do a:
    Code:
    ls -dl /var/lib/samba/usershares
    You should find out:
    drwxrwx--T 2 root sambashare 4096 2012-01-11 17:49 /var/lib/samba/usershares
    Now run the following command:
    Code:
    id
    You should see that you either are or are not a member of the sambashare group.

If you are not then add yourself:
    Code:
    sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name sambashare
    Then logout ( not reboot ) and login again and then try to share a folder.

Usershare has what I believe to be the very best error messages in all of software-dom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12