Thread: easiest way to get "expose" plugin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

easiest way to get "expose" plugin?

I like synaptic and standard repositories. Is there a safe & easy way to get the Expose plugin? I can't find it when I search compiz in synaptic.

(In case it's not the right name any more, I mean when all windows are tiled for ~5 sec for easy selection if you slide the mouse to the upper right corner. Note, I do not mean the "Expo" which I do have.)

I don't really use wobbly windows and spinning desktop things.. so I'd be sad to hear if the Expose plugin was buggy somehow. (I saw it last year on a Fedora install.) In my view it falls under the "useful / productivity" kind of generally appealing desktop effects, such that I'd be happy to see it under System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects > Normal.

Thanks

Beans

Re: easiest way to get "expose" plugin?

If you have Compiz installed, expo should already be there. It's usually triggered with Super+E. Try to see if it works. Otherwise, install the Compiz-config-setting manager through Synaptic, which gives you much more control over the Compiz-settings.

Beans

I believe he is talking about scale, which is the Linux clone of Mac's expose. To solve your problem, go to System>Preferences>Simple Compizconfig Manager OR Appearance>Desktop Effects and click the Preferences button next to "Custom".
    Click the edges tab and click one of the red edges, select scale windows from the box and now when you move your cusor to that edge,it'll activate scale.

You can also press Shift+Alt+Up, but then you have to select with the keyboard, which I personally dislike.

Beans
    Distro

crash91 was right. Thanks! I didn't know the name of the plugin. But eventually I figured it out.

For me, the exact method was a little different from what crash91 wrote. (are you using plain vanilla 8.04?) I wrote a HowTo on the topic. Hope it helps.

Beans

I was explaining the method to do it with ccsm, not advanced ccsm . You are right in your how to, here is some more info on the effect. I was too lazy to accent the e
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_(Mac_OS_X)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crash91 View Post
    I was too lazy to accent the e
    That's a pain in any OS, unless you have the right keyboard (or keyboard mapping?)

Thanks for the info. If ccsm is the same as System > Preferences > Appearance , then I couldn't find the options you referred to. Is there a "advanced options" that I didn't find?

If not it's not the "Appearance" app, I'll poke around for it later. Maybe it should be in the HowTo. .. I wouldn't have expected to have 3 different levels of complexity of managers!

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: easiest way to get "expose" plugin?

If you install toolbar buttons from add ons there is an icon that you can put on your 1 of 2 bars which will tell you your plugins.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2377

Beans

There is a simple-ccsm that you can install, i dont quite remember how i did it, but it lets you have another option called "Custom" after "Extra" In the effects tab. From there you can customize more stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crash91 View Post
    There is a simple-ccsm that you can install, i dont quite remember how i did it, but it lets you have another option called "Custom" after "Extra" In the effects tab. From there you can customize more stuff.
    System > Administration > Synaptic > Search > simple-ccsm

Thanks again! One question, does the compiz fusion icon launch the simple-ccsm if it's the only one you have installed? .. I'm too lazy to check that out thoroughly