Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 Starting Over - like day ONE

Beans

Ubuntu 8.04 Starting Over - like day ONE

Hi -- I made the grave mistake of updating 7.10 thinking that it is an improvement over 7.10. My MX Revolution mouse no longer works & I no longer can make it work. I am to understand the the wiggly frame on a window is the extent of the upgrade?? I have lost function, but gained none & now a previously working & seen device (006.002: 046d:c51a Unsupported Logitech device: USB Receiver) --- I mistakenly thought 8.04 was a "leap" , Mice do not count in leap & wiggle is cute -- not as cute a Vista -- but hey I am trying to change over & moving backward with each leap. Big mistake, how about a link to go back & get my mouse. Why the update NOW when it works worse?? What was the point of the Update??? Please, I really want to know --- I am sure many many many people spent a extremely long time making this happen, but forgot about mouse support???

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Starting Over - like day ONE

I have the same problem with my Logitech Revolution. I can't get the backward/forward buttons to work.
    Dell Optiplex GX270, 320GB Seagate ATA HD, WD 40GB ATA HD, Pentium 4 2.4GHz, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I personally never do an upgrade - it can cause problems. It's probably better to do a fresh install each time.
    If you do this, it's worth taking the time to set up your /home directory on a separate partition - check out this link for a guide to setting this up.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MattBD View Post
    I personally never do an upgrade - it can cause problems. It's probably better to do a fresh install each time.
    Ditto, I've never had a successful upgrade experience with distros like Ubuntu. The changes between releases are to great and clean installs ensure that everything works as it should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

On the flipside: I updated all the way from Dapper to (I think) Gutsy without any issues at all. Never had anything break. A lot depends on how much you've messed about with your system. For example, compiling software from source generally breaks the dependency system, and means you might have trouble when you upgrade.

fcorourke: There's a few tricks that make reinstalling a lot easier. My favourite is howto create a list of installed packages that you can automatically reinstall. Between that and a separate /home partition you can thrash out a reinstall in an hour or two, tops.