Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [SOLVED] Grub error 18

Beans

Re: Grub error 18

after browsing asking about "grub" somebody gave me this link which i find very informative!

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#22
    Polytechnic University of the Philippines .... Proud to be Pinoy!..
    Acer Aspire One ZG5 and Neo empriva Laptop: 1.6GHZ intel celeron, 2 Gig DDR2/667 Ram, 160 Gig HDD (80 for Mac OSX Leopard / 80 for Ubuntu 10.04) now i'm a happy man!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried restoring GRUB using the live CD. But it failed. It still returns Grub Error 18.

Last resort - going to format my HD. But not now, maybe I would be able to do this on June.

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it..

Beans

Source

Try reinstalling, create a separate partition of 32 MB, and mount it at /boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Grub error 18

Was able to resolve this by formatting my hard drive.

After months of waiting, I was able to finally back up my files.

Now, Ubuntu is booting normally.

Next problem, installing proper drivers for ATI Radeon 9600/x1050 agp video card. that would be a different thread then.

Thanks to those who replied here.

Beans

Grub error 18

I'm having the same grub problem. Error 18... I've used two other ubuntu formats and have never had these errors.

grub help indicates that my drive is too big for the motherboard. Or, that it was expecting a smaller drive it's 15 gig drive and I know this dell optiplex gx150 is able to support a 20 gig. So, that's just plain wrong. I've reinstalled grub too and that's not the problem either.

Can anyone help, right now I'm installing windows and will install ubuntu as a software program.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drewdropin View Post
    I'm having the same grub problem. Error 18... I've used two other ubuntu formats and have never had these errors.

grub help indicates that my drive is too big for the motherboard. Or, that it was expecting a smaller drive it's 15 gig drive and I know this dell optiplex gx150 is able to support a 20 gig. So, that's just plain wrong. I've reinstalled grub too and that's not the problem either.

Can anyone help, right now I'm installing windows and will install ubuntu as a software program.
    Hi, I tried reinstalling Grub also, it didn't work. My was working fine before on the same Ubuntu Version. But then, after reinstalling the exact same version, Grub Error 18 came.

The only work around I found was to:
    • Back up all your important files (I mean "all" important files)
    • Wipe out (delete all partition, everything) your hard drive...
    • Install Windows (if you're going to)
    • Install Ubuntu..
    • Restore your files...

I believe it is not a problem with the BIOS since our BIOS worked perfectly before.

I think it's a problem with the partition of the hard drive. Maybe deleting and creating certain partitions on the hard drive messes up the partition table of the HD.

So, if reinstalling the Grub doesn't solve the problem, try what I did (unless someone can give something that will work).

Just make sure your back is complete and reliable so you won't lose your files.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234