Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Grub error 18

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Grub error 18

I tried to install Xubuntu 8.04 yesterday. After rebooting, this is what i got...

Grub loading.....
    Error 18

Can't figure how to fix this..

I searched the internet about this, it says I have to place GRUB at the "front" which I believe it is in the fron because I chose to install GRUB at the MBR.

Help...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Grub error 18

here are some tools. look for my explanation of grub and this will help you explain your situation to help us more about your problem. I had to look for my post first and then when i came back, your post was way down the list and had a hardtime finding it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=grub

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can't do anything because the error shows after reboot from installation. It just stops there and doesn't show me any option.

here's how my hard drive is partitioned (for info)

Partition 1: Primary 60GB ntfs WindowsXP boot
    Partition 2: Primary 60GB fat32 shared_data_drive
    partition 4: Logical 1GB swap
    Partition 5: Logical 32GB ext3 /

Beans

have you tried doing that thing on the BIOS?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6448
    Last edited by indionine; April 28th, 2008 at 02:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is really hard to get support either from the forums or the chatroom. This is the second time I was "turned down" by the Linux community.

I hope reformatting my HDD will fix this. If not, have to look for other distro that won't give me the same headaches... or just go back in using Windows...

I'm a beginner in Linux...

Honestly, I am disappointed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

BTW, thanks to Nhatz for some suggestions and offer to help me fix this problem...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodimar View Post
    It is really hard to get support either from the forums or the chatroom. This is the second time I was "turned down" by the Linux community.

I hope reformatting my HDD will fix this. If not, have to look for other distro that won't give me the same headaches... or just go back in using Windows...

I'm a beginner in Linux...

Honestly, I am disappointed...
    the is no guarantee on a free tech support, timing has also something to do with it, if no one had a particular knowledge on a particular problem asked at particular time? then either you continue on asking and wait patiently or search for a solution on your own, thats the way it is.

you can also have the option of a paid support, if you want resolve at the the highest level.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=757903

Daming kumontra when I posted this... pero eto ako ngayun... yung isang post ko regarding shutdown issue nasa page 3 or more na. Eto, pilit ko lang nilalagay sa taas.. baka sakaling may tumulong...

thanks kay nhatz kasi nag-offer siya ng help....

(sentimiento de asukal, hehe)

Paid? hehe,,, di ko kaya... poor lang ako...

Sana maayos ko na, para makapag-migrate na ko "fully" to linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

here are some tools. look for my explanation of grub and this will help you explain your situation to help us more about your problem. I had to look for my post first and then when i came back, your post was way down the list and had a hardtime finding it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=grub
    funny thing is, someone actually did try to help you. I was going to give you a wlkthrough on reinstalling grub but after seeing your condemnation of the linux community i was less inspired to help.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    funny thing is, someone actually did try to help you. I was going to give you a wlkthrough on reinstalling grub but after seeing your condemnation of the linux community i was less inspired to help.
    I think I made a reply for that,, I can't do anything because I can't boot to Linux... it just stops after the message error 18...

"condemnation of the linux community" - when did saying what I experienced a "condemnation". What would you feel if someone said to you "there is nothing we can do about it".

I am not condemning the Linux community (I am part of it), I am just saying what I experienced. Is it "wrong" to express what I felt? If so, my apologies.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast