Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error message when trying to install vmware server on kubuntu 8.04

Beans

Error message when trying to install vmware server on kubuntu 8.04

I have just installed kubuntu 8.04 and trying to install vmware server 1.05 with "sudo ./vmware-install.pl". Before I ran this command I installed linux headers, build-essential, but I am getting the following error message (that vmmon module cannot be built.

Code:
    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
      CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/vmware.h:25,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:48:
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:161: error: conflicting types for ‘uintptr_t’
    include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of ‘uintptr_t’ was here
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:37:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:43:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,
                     from /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error: conflicting types for ‘poll_initwait’
    include/linux/poll.h:65: error: previous declaration of ‘poll_initwait’ was here
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning: initialisation from incompatible pointer type
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning: initialisation from incompatible pointer type
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: ‘struct mm_struct’ has no member named ‘dumpable’
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.
    I would be grateful for any information on how to resolve this.

Victor Warner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Error message when trying to install vmware server on kubuntu 8.04

Have you already applied the 116 any-any patch?

http://www.bauer-power.net/2008/04/i...buntu-804.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=770873

Installing VMWare Server in Hardy

This is a cleaned up copy of the instructions for installing the VMWare Server from tar.gz found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=613976 with a correction thanks to forrestallen. Since the Hardy Beta forums are now locked I thought it might be best to make a copy here to allow further discussion if needed.

First install the packages needed by vmware.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-get install xinetd
    for 64bit installs also install the ia32-libs

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    Additionally I recommend installing the linux-header metapackage appropriate to your kernel. "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic" for desktops in the standard kernel and "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-server" for server installs. This makes it easier down the road, automatically pulling down the headers if the kernel gets updated.

next download vmware server and expand it out somewhere

Code:
    tar -xvzf VMware-server-1.0.5-80187.tar.gz
    then do the install

Code:
    cd vmware-server-distrib
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    Answer the questions, the defaults are fine. Eventually it will start compiling and fail.

grab the any to any patch 116 from
    http://uruz.org/files/vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz

Code:
    wget http://uruz.org/files/vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz
    tar -xvzf vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz
    cd vmware-any-any-update116
    sudo ./runme.pl
    Finally you can configure vmware server (note this usually will be run automatically at the end of the any-any patch, no need to run it twice)

Code:
     sudo vmware-config.pl
    answer all the questions and it should compile fine.

once installed I received an error trying to launch vmware so I cheated and copied the libraries over, which seems to have resolved that issue.

Code:
    sudo ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1
    sudo ln -sf  /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0
    (I found this tip online as well but now I can not find the link.)

For 64 bit users there is one additional step in order to allow vmware console to launch:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
    sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9
    the solution came from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...bs/+bug/177869 however I had to change libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.3 to libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.9.

if you get an error like this at the end of the compile step:

Code:
    Unable to get the last modification timestamp of the destination file
    /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.key
    then create the key and cert files for vmware. (I think, though I am not certain, this came up because I had not yet installed the ia32-libs on my 64-bit machine prior to doing the initial install.)

Code:
    sudo touch /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.key
    sudo touch /etc/vmware/ssl/rui.crt
    Also note that I had a number of issues on one upgraded machine where I was using the partner repositories debs prior to the upgrade. I would recommend backing up your VMs and then removing the VMWare install completely prior to upgrading.

Let us know how you are doing.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Following the suggestions worked. Thank you very much for the help.

Victor Warner.

Beans
    Distro

It's amazing how many little details are required to get everything to work right. More needed to get USB support, eh?

It's a normal miracle to have virtualization and Linux work so well.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

thanks a million for this! it worked beautifully!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hello, thanks for the guide and clarification on the information that is floating around. I have completed the steps that you've listed and gotten this result at the end of runme.pl:

The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.5 build-80187 for Linux for this running kernel completed successfully.

Now when I go to applications > Other > VMWare Server Console, the program appears to load in the task bar and after about 10-12 seconds disappears and does not load. Any advice? The output of runme.pl notes that the virtual machine monitor is loaded. Should I be able to use this gui?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Isthan View Post
    Hello, thanks for the guide and clarification on the information that is floating around. I have completed the steps that you've listed and gotten this result at the end of runme.pl:

The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.5 build-80187 for Linux for this running kernel completed successfully.

Now when I go to applications > Other > VMWare Server Console, the program appears to load in the task bar and after about 10-12 seconds disappears and does not load. Any advice? The output of runme.pl notes that the virtual machine monitor is loaded. Should I be able to use this gui?
    I can't think of much to offer except to run the command as root, vmware.

See what happens. If that works, then try the GUI again. It should work from the GUI. That's the way to setup the guest.

Beans
    Distro

Did you already run these two commands?
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1
    sudo ln -sf  /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0
    If that doesn't do it, then run "vmware" in the terminal as your normal user and post the error message output.

Beans
    Distro

[disregard this post, cause i can't find how to delete it]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast