Thread: Integrating Open Source with iTunes

Beans

Integrating Open Source with iTunes

(Sorry in advance if this is the incorrect way to place this question)

Um... maybe I should come straight to the point. Anyways, there's one thing I'm looking to see if it's possible to do in linux. (The other would be playing m4p files - legally - in an open source player, but that's probably out)

Anyways, one feature I've really enjoyed in iTunes is the ability to share libraries over a network, and not have to copy files onto all my computers. I'm wondering if it's possible to do this with linux.

Does anyone know of any software that could connect to my regular iTunes library to play mp3 files? Or is this impossible/illegal/or just crazy...

Thanks

Beans

Re: Integrating Open Source with iTunes

Also, does anyone know if we're allowed to bump a topic? I don't mean to appear rude, or break any rules.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am not fully understanding. Are all your mp3 files on one computer, drive, or folder. My guess is you just want to share your mp3 collection. This should be easy to create a shared folder and run your favorite linux player. Just point the player to your shared folder.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Rhythmbox has network sharing capabilities like itunes. You do mean like being able to access other peoples music over a network right? Because on my rhythmbox i can access other peoples itunes over my dorm hall.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    EPIC FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by daengbo View Post
    Are you using Ubuntu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface1969 View Post
    No I'm not.. Should I be? What is Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

And I'm not sure about bumping topics, I've seen other people do it and it doesn't seem bad to me, but I don't know if they have a rule on it.
    EPIC FAIL
    Are you using Ubuntu?

Beans

I suppose I could just point any player to my music directory via a network, but that'd mean I'd have to get SAMBA working.

Rhythembox can do this? Cool, I'll have to try it. That's what I want to be able to do, access iTunes libraries. Do you know if this requires SAMBA stuff to be working, or can it function on its own?

Thanks!

(And on the bump issue, I know some forums really aren't cool with double posting and bumping, so I just wanted to check. I couldn't find any clear cut rules... )

Beans
    Distro

Umm I don't think it requires any Samba stuff. Mine just automatically picks up peoples itunes.
    EPIC FAIL
    Are you using Ubuntu?

Beans

Okay, I think I'm all set now. I was just reading on Wikipedia about DAAP stuff, and it turns out after modifying my firewall it seems to detect my itunes library automatically. It doesn't seem to fully load, but I suspect that's due to a gianourmously bloated library.

And it also turns out that Hardy has SAMBA stuff automatically set up - extra cool! So I'm all set. Thanks very much!!!