Thread: IBM Thinkpad Ultrabay Issue with 2.6.24 Kernel

Beans

Question IBM Thinkpad Ultrabay Issue with 2.6.24 Kernel

I'm currently using a Thinkpad X31 with the Ultrabay (with an IBM DVD burner connected). Gusty, everything worked as it was supposed to (although in Feisty I had the same problem I do now, I just sort of dealt with a lot of restarts).

Since I upgraded to Hardy, ejecting the Ultrabay causes a complete and pretty instant lock-up. Keyboard and trackpoint won't respond at all. I've done some searching, and found that this is a fairly common problem, and its traced to some kind of issue with the newest Linux kernel.

I've been to thinkwiki.org, but most of the information there (such as eject scripts and work-arounds) are for previous kernels that also had the same issue.

Basically I was just hoping somebody's figured out a way around this. Thanks for any info!

Beans

Re: IBM Thinkpad Ultrabay Issue with 2.6.24 Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post
    I'm currently using a Thinkpad X31 with the Ultrabay (with an IBM DVD burner connected). Gusty, everything worked as it was supposed to (although in Feisty I had the same problem I do now, I just sort of dealt with a lot of restarts).

Since I upgraded to Hardy, ejecting the Ultrabay causes a complete and pretty instant lock-up. Keyboard and trackpoint won't respond at all. I've done some searching, and found that this is a fairly common problem, and its traced to some kind of issue with the newest Linux kernel.

I've been to thinkwiki.org, but most of the information there (such as eject scripts and work-arounds) are for previous kernels that also had the same issue.

Basically I was just hoping somebody's figured out a way around this. Thanks for any info!
    I would also like to know the remedy for this issue if it is found to be an issue.

I just installed 8.04 and, with the computer off, I ejected the laptop from the Ultrabay and successfully booted with no issues. The keyboard and trackpoint both worked. I then turned the laptop off, re-docked to the Ultrabay and re-booted. It worked again.

Until we get a response, I wont be undocking any other way.

Thanks for asking this question.

Until I learn more, I will make sure the laptop is off

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post

I would also like to know the remedy for this issue if it is found to be an issue.

I just installed 8.04 on an IBM X31 and, with the computer off, I ejected the laptop from the Ultrabay and successfully booted with no issues. The keyboard and trackpoint both worked. I then turned the laptop off, re-docked to the Ultrabay and re-booted. It worked again.

Until we get a response, I wont be undocking any other way.

Thanks for asking this question.

Until I learn more, I will make sure the laptop is off

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johninsf View Post
    I ejected the laptop from the Ultrabay and successfully booted with no issues. The keyboard and trackpoint both worked. I then turned the laptop off, re-docked to the Ultrabay and re-booted. It worked again.
    My Thinkpad (and from what I've googled, just about every other) exhibits the exact same behavior. It works, it's just a pain restarting every time I need to use my DVD drive.