Thread: How to override Alt+F1 ?

Beans
    Hidden!

How to override Alt+F1 ?

Hi all

I hope I'm posting to the right forum - else please let me know which forum to post this to.

Am beginning to use Ubuntu for pretty much everything I can think of nowadays and really starting to enjoy it. I have a couple of questions -

1. how does one make the application keyboard shortcuts take priority over the Desktop shortcuts (eg Alt+F1) i.e when I type Alt+F1 inside of an application, I don't want Ubuntu/Gnome to bring up the Ubuntu Applications menu which it is currently bound to but rather the application's respective menu. I do however want it to bring up this menu when I'm not inside of an application.
    2. how does one create a custom launcher which will run a shell script to start an application? Currently, when I do this, it does nothing but the application launches fine from within gnome-terminal. I also tried entering the command as "cd path-to-script; ./shellscript.sh" but it says "Failed to execute child process cd. No such file or directory".

Thanks in advance!!
    HT
    Last edited by mailforbiz; April 28th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to override Alt+F1 ?

I figured out how to "Disable" the Gnome Alt+F1 keyboard shortcut so now my application key works. But this is not what ideally I would want. Would still like to know if its possible to set up the keys such that the application shortcuts will get priority over Gnome shortcuts. i.e if I press Alt+F1 inside of an application, the appropriate action will happen and if I press it outside of the application, the Gnome/Ubuntu action will happen.

Since ******* has this kind of behaviour, I find it hard to believe it won't work in Linux.

Anyone? TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: How to override Alt+F1 ?

Since ******* has this kind of behaviour, I find it hard to believe it won't work in Linux.
    Linux != Windows

If you notice on most (if not all) applications, the menu bar has a letter underlined for each menu. By pressing <Alt>+<letter> it will open that menu. That way you can still have <Alt>+F1 to open the Applications menu.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM