Thread: trouble installing Ubuntu

Beans

trouble installing Ubuntu (can not get dialog box to install)

I have an old Mac Graphite G4 and the hard drive finally gave out on me. i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image with a question mac which means it can find the operating system. the disk is not defective i even had gotten a disk from Ubuntu with the nice little stickers. is my system to old or is it something like holding down a series of keys any suggestions. thanks
    Last edited by graphiteg4; April 27th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: trouble installing Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by graphiteg4 View Post
    I have an old Mac Graphite G4 and the hard drive finally gave out on me. i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image with a question mac which means it can find the operating system. the disk is not defective i even had gotten a disk from Ubuntu with the nice little stickers. is my system to old or is it something like holding down a series of keys any suggestions. thanks
    Try holding down the C key with the Ubuntu CD-rom in the drive, it should start booting from the CD at that point.
    Bog-standard iMac G3/500 with CDRW
    1Gb ram, 120Gb HD, just Debian Etch on it
    Various other Macs and i386's with mostly Hardy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VCF View Post
    Try holding down the C key with the Ubuntu CD-rom in the drive, it should start booting from the CD at that point.
    no i restated and held down the c key and no go is there any thing else

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try holding down the option key on restart, does it show the CD rom there? If no-go then zap the PRAM by holding down the cmd (left open apple key) & option & "p" & "r" keys (you need four fingers for this) and hold down until there is a second chime. Then try holding down the "c" key on restart or hold down the "option" key on restart and see if anything else changes. Does OS X load? if not, maybe the cdrom drive is defective?
    Bog-standard iMac G3/500 with CDRW
    1Gb ram, 120Gb HD, just Debian Etch on it
    Various other Macs and i386's with mostly Hardy

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: trouble installing Ubuntu (can not get dialog box to install)

Quote Originally Posted by graphiteg4 View Post
    i installed a new HD and when i went to install Ubuntu i can not seen to get a dialog box all i can get is the mac folder image..
    The guys are right - whenever new hardware is changed in a Mac, usually the pram needs to be zapped, and sometimes the pmu/smu needs to be reset.

Although it may simply be a dust bunny in the cdrom drive got loose.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/