Thread: Ati drivers weird Big Desktop issues

Beans

Ati drivers weird Big Desktop issues

Hi all,

I am using the restricted ati drivers and just install the 8.3 version using envyNG on Hardy Heron. In Gutsy I had the big desktop feature working ok but I am battling like crazy in Hardy Heron. I have a Asus F3J series notebook.

lspci reports my card as

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon X2300

Apparently this is really a X1300 chip that was just rebranded by the marketing department. It is almost impossible to find a reference to this model (2300) in any ati documentation and I think this explains it.

Anyway I did the "aticonfig --initial --dtop=horizontal" --overlay-on=1 --overlay-type=Xv"

Doing this resulted in the crt remaining dark on boot up. For some reason the driver now takes the external monitor as the primary instead of the latop screen. I don't mind but the last driver took the laptop as primary. I battled for a while with the blank crt as I couldnt see the login prompt. On a whim I just typed in my username and password and voila the desktop cam up with both screen on. But they were in clomed mode!

I managed to sort out the crt being dark on boot up by adding the line "Option "Mode2" "1024x768" to the devices section of xorg.conf.

I still had the clone instead of big desktop problem. Using the amdccccle didn't seem to do the trick either with changes being ignored. I then tried running it manually as root. This seemed to work in that I can now get the desired big desktop. The only problem is that on reboot it looses the changes! Anyone know how to persits these changes. I did try using amdcccle but it seems not to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ati drivers weird Big Desktop issues

I'm having the same types of issues with an ATI card and two monitors on a desktop. I can get big desktop to work with the amdccc program but when rebooted it reverts to clone mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm having this problem too,

Tried following Ziox's guide to enable big desktop but ran into problems.
    The CCC allows me to get the desired result but upon reboot I have a cloned desktop.

I'm really new to Ubuntu (and Linux in general) so any help would be appreciated, let me know if I need to post additional information.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well after a good afternoon going through the Dual Monitors thread I finally found the issue:

Once you've got Big Desktop going you have to go to
    System > Preferences > Screen Resolution

And then adjust it accordingly, the resolution you want will be the combined width of both your monitors plus the height of your first monitor.

I haven't tested this with the control center, I went back and edited xorg.conf directly but I think as long as you alter your resolution it should work fine.