Thread: Downloaded Program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Downloaded Program

I am new to Ububtu (8.04) and have 3 questions.

1. I downloaded some apps from the available repositories. Some of the programs listed themselves in the Application and some didn't. How do I find and open these apps?
    2. I also tried installing a Windows program with Wine cannot find its location?
    3. I have the commercial Xandros OS CD. The CD includes Crosover. Can I install Crossover on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Downloaded Program

Quote Originally Posted by CFO View Post
    I am new to Ububtu (8.04) and have 3 questions.

1. I downloaded some apps from the available repositories. Some of the programs listed themselves in the Application and some didn't. How do I find and open these apps?

2. I also tried installing a Windows program with Wine cannot find its location?

3. I have the commercial Xandros OS CD. The CD includes Crosover. Can I install Crossover on Ubuntu?

1. I believe this depends if the application you installed has a graphical user interface or not. Many programs in Ubuntu are run from command line. You can see if the program is installed by typing the program in the terminal. I.e. if you installed octave (math programming), you can open a terminal and type "octave".

2. You can check out this site: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
    I believe the answers will be here.

3. I'm not experienced with Crossover, but if it's Crossover Office you mean, it should work, seeing this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-37348.html

Hope some of this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

2. there should be a wine section in your apps menu.

3. not sure...
    Ubuntu user #11075
    Howto: AwesomeWM (OUTDATED) || My BitBucket Page || My deviantArt page
    If you find a post helpful, click the medal icon to give thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    ... wallpaper is a tiling of the opera icons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can go to system>>preferences>> main menu and control what appears under applications. You can choose where to place a new item under any menu. All you need to know is what command launches it from the command line. Sometimes the name of the package you installed from the repositories is the command that will launch the applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the suggestions. If typing the program name on the command line doesn't work, then what? For example, I downloaded and installed Googleearth. Typing it on the command line doesn't launch it. There must be a syntax in linux for doing something so basic.

Also, is there a quick way to see which applications are on the computer?