Thread: Is basic recording info needed by many?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is basic recording info needed by many?

Several years ago my company published a stereo audio cassette (!) called "Exploring Music & Sound On Your PC!" It was just before MP3 got going, so it is about WAVE files, sampling rates, microphone quality, and copyrights. It had plenty of audio examples and even a brief audio history of computer sound...including classical music from a Timex-Sinclair home computer!

While the tape was hailed as one of the most complete guides for beginners every put into one place, it flopped. Unlike our tutorials on Windows, going online and digital cameras, it was too esoteric and too ahead of its time.

I still have the digitally edited masters and am thinking of releasing the parts that affect podcasters, etc. I will leave out the section on MOD and MIDI music. I may make it a downloadable MP3 with donation accepted.

Question: Is the need there? I'd like to know before I spend the hours editing and re-recording the front and back. Thanks, John acpress dot com.

Beans

Re: Is basic recording info needed by many?

Sounds pretty interesting to me. I think you should make an archive of the entire recording.
    Want to learn about Recording in Linux?
    Need audio hardware you know will work with Linux? http://www.linuxstudiopro.com

checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I think it depends on the tone and target audience of said tape. Is it geared toward an average person who wants to transfer their music collection to digital; a musician who would record a new track they wrote; a beginner audio engineer who would edit a friend's tape; or a beginner who wants to learn about audio synthesis practices with the computer? My gut says that if it was produced before mp3s came out then some of the info and assumptions that are made about wave files would be out of date by now, but I could be wrong. Also there are thousands of books at my local libraries that cover digital audio from all of the above angles and more, but then again books are old fashioned right?

I don't think I'd be interested if it's geared toward beginners. I'm just trying to help you figure out if it's worth your efforts.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The first few segments are now up at acpress dot com and also via iTunes. Aimed primarily at spoken word, there is a lot on editing and a look (or listen) comparing microphones. It's free, so check it out and let me know what you think.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

radi0j0hn :

What you're describing is very interesting to a beginner-ish

person like me .

Went to your website , and was a bit disappointed that the

episodes are not downloadable, unless I use Windows to get them from

Itunes, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

For me the hour is late, so I'll begin listening tomorrow.

Thank you !
    Triple Boot : 10.10 ,Mint 8 , win xp