Thread: QEMU vmware video drivers do not work with Arch/Gentoo/Slackware guests

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

QEMU vmware video drivers do not work with Arch/Gentoo/Slackware guests

I noticed that the QEMU vmware video drivers are the ones which allow you to attain high resolution settings for the X server - for instance, with my Debian guest, I could not obtain the HD 1366x768 resolution unless I booted it with the vmware drivers - the others - std or cirrus - would let me go up to 1024x768 only. So far so good with the Debian guest (except that I still do not know how to increase video card memory in QEMU/kvm for better graphics performance).

However, when I try booting my Arch or Gentoo or Slackware guests with the vmware drivers, the display freezes and coughs up the output intermittently. I have no clue as to why these drivers should not work, whilst they indeed do with Debian. My physical video card is indeed a cirrus, and though I have hardware virtualization enabled, the vmware drivers behave better than the cirrus driver when they actually work - but not with these guests. Any ideas? (I would like to run my Arch guest with an HD resolution, so also the Slack guest. Gentoo I think I will live without the X server, though I would very much like to know why the drivers do not work).
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: QEMU vmware video drivers do not work with Arch/Gentoo/Slackware guests

I believe this might actually be a bug in the vmware drivers. I am filing a bug report in Launchpad.
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend