Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute system failure

Beans

Absolute system failure

Well this is always an interesting read for people if nothing else.

Last night I shutdown the computer, no problems nothing knew.

This morning I switched it on and.... nothing.

Let me just describe the term "nothing". Nothing in this case is defined as, the computer turns on, power goes from the PSU to the mobo and all fans start. However:

- There is a lack of a system beep from the mobo which normally happens everytime i power up within a couple of seconds.

- There is no signl to the monitor.

- Pressing the reset button does nothing.

- Pressing the power off button does nothing.

- The computer has to be reset via the PSU!

What I have done to try and fix the problem:

- Checked all cables internal and external.

- Reset 4 times.

- Removed the mobo battery to attempt a hard reset.

= Nothing.

Any other surgestions?

I think there must have been some major failor on the system. Oh well!
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2x 2.33Ghz, FP-IN9 SLI mobo, 2Gb 800Mhz RAM, 256mb GeForce 7300 LE graphics, 120Gb IDE HD, 400Gb IDE HD,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Absolute system failure

Sounds like your machine isn't POSTing, you may want to check out the error codes on this page. I'm not too knowledgable about hardware and all that, but your board my be fried. :-\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is the first thing that happened when my onboard graphics card died.
    if you have a spare graphics card install it and see if the machine will boot.

Beans

i think it is! like an egg! however I was buying a new comp this month anyway...

possible that the mobo heard and decided that life weren't living without ubuntu? -- can't find the fault code for that!

I agree that yeh the comp isn't posting but normally you would get a fault code series of beeps.... but having nothing is the worst!

There is a reason I backed up for last month and this is it!

Although this little event won't of effected my hard disks will it?
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2x 2.33Ghz, FP-IN9 SLI mobo, 2Gb 800Mhz RAM, 256mb GeForce 7300 LE graphics, 120Gb IDE HD, 400Gb IDE HD,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't think your hard drive will be affected, most likely your board had a short or some such.

Beans

hmmm yeh. About the graphics card... it gets me thinking....

Its sounded so rough the past week I thought it was on its way out and this is what started me thinking about making a new comp.

I thought I will run this graphics card till it goes pop or i can afford a new one. But I didn't think it would have this effect!

I have just removed it and tryed to connect the monetor cable to the I/O pannel of the mobo but still on restart get nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by hellomoto View Post
    I have just removed it and tryed to connect the monetor cable to the I/O pannel of the mobo but still on restart get nothing.
    Yeah, it looks like your motherboard is shot, unless I'm missing something obvious that a hardware guru can chime in on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is a link to troubleshooting post problems. It might be of use for you

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans

yep i think your right...

Is this a good time to mention that I ran it overcloacked to 3.6Ghz... Mind its been running fine overclocked for the last 6 months at CPU temp of 45C and mobo temp of 35C whilst under load.

Hmm feel kinda proud ... ur not a proper computer nut untill you have at least destroyed one system! lol
    Last edited by hellomoto; April 27th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hellomoto View Post
    yep i think your right...

Is this a good time to mention that I ran it overcloacked to 3.6Ghz... Mind its been running fine overclocked for the last 6 months at CPU temp of 45C and mobo temp of 35C whilst under load.

Hmm feel kinda proud ... ur not a proper computer nut untill you have at least destroyed one system! lol
    Acutually, that was worthy of mentioning in your OP!

Now, just for shites and giggles try resetting the ram and cpu (check them for signs of being cooked although they would have shot their wad while running and not powered off you'd think).

As strange as it may sound, check your power switch. It could still have continuity and pass an ohms check but, still be bad enough to cause low power... or faulty power at least. Wouldn't know this had I not had it happen to one of my family members. Worked on that damn thing for three months (off and on) and got a wild hair one day. Swapped out the switch from a spare case and wa-la. Not a minutes trouble since that time!

Oh yeah... OC at your own risk!
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast