Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's Shared Folders in Hardy?

Beans

Where's Shared Folders in Hardy?

Hello all!
    I found that the Shared Folders (shares-admin) disappeared from Hardy! Is that okay?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Where's Shared Folders in Hardy?

goto nautilus and right click into a folder, and vuala here is shared folders, like in windows!

Beans

Wow! Hardy rocks! But anyway, think they had to leave it in System/Administration anyway...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

you right, i fell lack a share-center..
    its good to control all shares.

Beans

Anyways, typing ' shares-admin' in terminal gives you the window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PryGuy View Post
    Thanks, that's good to know.

But I'd like to understand what they're intending with Hardy.

I've enabled sharing for a directory in Nautilus as mentioned above, but that dialog has no options for SMB and NFS, has no way of declaring Allowed Hosts, and the shared folder is not showing up on my Gusty machine. (The Hardy machine can use the SMB shares on my Gusty, so we know the network is set up.)

Nautilus just says it's shared now. No indication of how and with whom.

What's going on? And how's it supposed to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi. I am a newbie to Ubuntu as well forums in general, so feel free to flame me if I violate any protocols here.
    Below is how I put a clean install of Hardy on my Windows Network:

1. Create a folder on the Desktop called “HardyShared”
    2. Right click this folder and choose “Sharing Options”
    3. Check “Share this folder”
    4. Get dialog “Sharing services not installed…”
    5. Click INSTALL SERVICES and provide our password at the prompt
    6. He downloads and installs the packages. When the “Completed” dialog pops up, we click CLOSE
    7. We are back at the “Folder sharing” dialog.
    We know that we must log out and back in here, or else an error
    message results. (Known bug). We log out and back in.
    8. Right click the HardyShared folder and choose “Sharing Option”
    9. Check the “Share this folder” option and also the “allow
    other users to write to this folder” option (if you want to
    place files here from another computer) and click “Create Share”
    10. A dialog appears that asks if we want Nautilus to “Add permissions automatically”. We click to agree.
    11. Now we can see and access Hardy from WinXP, but he shows up in WORKGROUP instead of ROSAN (My workgroup name)

Add Shared Folder back into the menu
    1. System > Preferences > Main Menu > in the left panel click to select System > Administration.
    2. On the right side, click the “New Item” button. In the “Name” box of the “Create Launcher" dialog, provide a name. (eg Shared Folders)
    3. Click the Browse button. In the resulting screen, choose File System.
    4. Browse to /user/bin/ and select “shares-admin” and click the OPEN button.
    5. We are back at the “Create Launcher” dialog with the path box now filled in.
    6. In the Comment box add what you like. This is text that will be displayed when the mouse is hovered over our new menu icon. (eg. Shared Folder Configuration)
    7. Click OK. Now System > Administration should have a “Shared Folder” (or whatever you typed in the Name box) icon.
    8. If we choose to use this option, we can start Shared Folders, drag a folder into it and click to select it. Then choose the “General Properties” tab and change the “Domain/Workgroup” entry from WORKGROUP to ROSAN
    9. This makes Hardy appear in the same workgroup as the other computers on the network. It also changes the Workgroup= WORKGROUP entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf

Alternate method to change workgroup name
    1. I am nervous about using Shared Folders now. Maybe it was removed to discourage newbies like me from using it.
    2. Applications > Accessories > Terminal
    3. CODE:
    gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf.
    Provide your password at the prompt
    5. Find the entry “Workgroup=WORKGROUP.
    6. Change this entry to read “Workgroup=(your workgroup name. In my case ROSAN)
    7. File > Save. Close gedit
    8. back in Terminal type exit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you so much. I didn't find how to change the name of WORKGROUP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is it just me or is this a massive oversight. Does this mean that anyone on your network has access to that share??? What about if you take your laptop to work or university???

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this make it possible for someone to copy huge files to your machine and cause gnome to crash (known to happen when gnome runs out of disk space, not sure if it's been fixed in Hardy.) Sure, someone who knows about the security risk would much rather create a samba user and password protect it but your average person wouldn't.

IMO it would be much better if there was an easy way to create samba users and assign them a password from within the "Sharing Options" window.

Some investigation has yielded that even if I change the domain/workgroup name from "WORKGROUP" to "UBUNTU" i can still browse to the share by going to: Windows Network > workgroup > "My Hostname > "My Shared Folder". In fact everything in "shares-admin" seems unrelated to the settings in "Sharing Options" Does that seem screwy to anyone?

I don't want to speculate since I'm a bit of a noob but doesn't that mean that the "Domain Name/Workgroup" has been hardcoded into the shared folders functionality somehow?
    Registered Linux User # 448327

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by PryGuy View Post
    Sure, the window comes up, but all the buttons are greyed out for me. This seems like it is because this new "unlock" feature to get sudo privileges wasn't incorporated into 'shares-admin' so it just doesn't work. I don't mind that you can now share folders by right-clicking on them, but why did they take away centralized access to controling shares by removing 'shares-admin' from the menu and making it impossible to use logged in as a regular user?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast