Thread: fixes repository is screwed up

Beans

fixes repository is screwed up

When 8.04 was released:
    -0.21 got pushed to the GUTSY fixes repository (I don't know if it's still there, I've upgraded to 8.04)
    -NO hardy repsitory for "fixes" was created despite the updated doco on the web site

The .21 push to 7.10 was obviously accidental as it contravenes what was discussed on the myth-dev list. However, if anyone has auto-updated they may not be able to go back now.

I'm guessing the whole thing is an automated build machine/script not being updated to create and push to a "hardy" directory.

Beans

Re: fixes repository is screwed up

Huh?

-0.21 got pushed to the GUTSY fixes repository (I don't know if it's still there, I've upgraded to 8.04)
    The .21 push to 7.10 was obviously accidental as it contravenes what was discussed on the myth-dev list. However, if anyone has auto-updated they may not be able to go back now.
    No. It was intentional. I don't remember any discussion on the mythtv-dev list. Here's my announcement to mythtv-users: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...weekly;#330303

-NO hardy repsitory for "fixes" was created despite the updated doco on the web site
    The hardy builds are on the PPA, the mirrors are just outdated.
    Please read 'How to get help' before asking a question about Mythbuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laga View Post
    Huh?
    No. It was intentional. I don't remember any discussion on the mythtv-dev list. Here's my announcement to mythtv-users: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...weekly;#330303
    The hardy builds are on the PPA, the mirrors are just outdated.
    To quote Mario on the dev list from March 9 2008
    As expected this is going to be a source of confusion.

There has to be a balance chosen. Yes 0.21-fixes is a fixes branch, but 0.20.2
    shipped with 7.10. It's either force everyone using that branch to switch to
    0.21, or let them stay on a "stable" 0.20.2.

There have been no updates to the "fixes" branch because nothing has been
    committed to 0.20.2. It seemed silly to keep pushing updates when the focus was
    only on 0.21 for the last few weeks.

So here is the entire plan for 0.21+:

1) Get it in hardy (done)
    2) Get it on the mythbuntu-trunk branch so that people on 0.20.2 who were using
    the -fixes branch don't need to switch
    3) Get an official backport into gutsy backports
    4) Once this backport is active, the mythbuntu-trunk branch will start to track
    trunk again
    5) No more -fixes for the rest of gutsy.
    6) -fixes will resume for hardy with release-0-21-fixes.

That sound sane?
    and on Mar 13:
    The "last" build that was on gutsy will be available. No more new ones though.

I missed the users thread due to the spammy nature of users (I only follow -dev closely). When/how was this decided, and why did it not take into account the long discussion mario had with people on -dev ?

Also, It'd be cool if you'd update the mythbuntu site if there's any major changes like a version upgrade out-of-release cycle. I simply assumed it was an error due to the discussion on -dev and the lack of anything on the site.

Also, not trying to be mr negative. I appreciate all the work that has gone in, mythbuntu on 8.04 is great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BBQNinja View Post
    When/how was this decided, and why did it not take into account the long discussion mario had with people on -dev ?
    It was decided a few weeks ago (after that discussion). There were a few reasons:

* The 0.21 package in gutsy-backports had some big problems (eg with Xvmc)
    * I didn't want to force people to upgrade to Hardy
    * It didn't take any major changes to get the packages to build on Gutsy (I still maintain MythTV builds for feisty here)

Also, It'd be cool if you'd update the mythbuntu site if there's any major changes like a version upgrade out-of-release cycle.
    True, I should have updated the website as well. I assumed it wasn't a problem because

* People who're using third-party repos should take a closer look if these packages are getting updated
    * Many people were already using 0.21 on Gutsy, thanks to an oversight on our part which left the gutsy-backports repository enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list

Also, not trying to be mr negative. I appreciate all the work that has gone in, mythbuntu on 8.04 is great.
    I'm glad you like it.

The best solution for this problem would be having separate PPAs for each major MythTV release (along with separate branches for each release for the packaging scripts). We haven't done that yet because it's a lot of work, but for the next release, it'll have to happen.

Thanks for making me do stuff properly!

Regards,
    laga
    Please read 'How to get help' before asking a question about Mythbuntu.