Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WiFi LED won't light up after upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: WiFi LED won't light up after upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

Try installing the backports for Hardy.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
    and then restart
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Re: WiFi LED won't light up after upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Try installing the backports for Hardy.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
    and then restart
    Thanks for the suggestion. Your profile suggests you know what you're talking about...would you mind explaining very briefly what that does and what other consequences it may have?
    System Information
    Dell XPS Studio 1340, 4G RAM, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
    nVidia Hybrid SLI 9400+210m (not supported yet!), Dell wireless (BCM 4322)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: WiFi LED won't light up after upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

This is a confirmed bug, as seen here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/176090 . The driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 has been changed from ipw3945 to iwl3945. To be honest with you, it does take a while to get used to the fact that the LED is off, but at least the wireless works well, yes?
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans

Thanks. I installed the backports and the LED and the Fn-F2 key combo to toggle the WiFi works now. Not quite the same as it used to under gutsy where it'd blink while negotiating with the access point, but it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: WiFi LED won't light up after upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

Quote Originally Posted by EricDB View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Your profile suggests you know what you're talking about...would you mind explaining very briefly what that does and what other consequences it may have?
    Ah, young Padiwan. I wonder what in my profile suggests that I know what I'm talking about? Maybe my bean count? Word of advise. Just because you have a large bean count doesn't mean lots of knowledge, just lots of forum posts.

Thanks for asking the question, though.

The hardy backports give another software source that is approved and developed by the Ubuntu people but not put into the regular release because everyone may not need it.

There are no consequences to running software that come from Ubuntu.

I got the answer here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...17#post4775217

and from reading the bug reports.

I had the same issue, also, which is why I knew the answer. New releases of Ubuntu have been buggy since the beginning. I have been running Ubuntu since 5.04 and believe me, it's getting better.

Sorry, not preaching, but just be careful about some folks on the forums. Some people will tell you to download this and do that. It's good that you asked, and again, thank you.

Great places to look for support besides these forums:

Ubuntu Guide

You can go to the URL and change the last word to Gutsy to get a longer guide. Very good info. There may be some good advice on the Gutsy guide for the time being.

Google

help.ubuntu.com

Search the forums before you post a question. Chances are that we've answered the question before.

Good luck and enjoy Ubuntu!

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Ah, young Padiwan. I wonder what in my profile suggests that I know what I'm talking about? Maybe my bean count? Word of advise. Just because you have a large bean count doesn't mean lots of knowledge, just lots of forum posts.
    No, but you've been thanked 47 times. And thanks again for the extra info.

(Make it 48!)
    System Information
    Dell XPS Studio 1340, 4G RAM, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
    nVidia Hybrid SLI 9400+210m (not supported yet!), Dell wireless (BCM 4322)

Beans

After installing linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic i got my led working but the wireless interface will connect to any lan only if the switch used to activate the i/f is set to on at boot time, otherwise if i switch it to on with the system booted up no wireless signal is detected. I must remove and reinsert the iw3945 module to get the i/f running. So i prefer having the opportunity to switch on/off the interface regardless the led and removed the backports.

Beans

my wifi light is on but no wireless on my e1505. Huge trial so far to get it working piece by piece, not just the driver, but the firmware for the wireless, must try that backport thing, but with my disappearing synaptic repos, I dont know if they are there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12