Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Lee View Post
    Great work on the tutorial canabal and thanks for the credit! I'm a guy, btw I like the way you included step 2.5 in the main tutorial so I'll do the same for this one sometime soon. I'll also link your tutorial from mine. I can PM you the code for this one if you want.

Hahaha, I kept reading it as sand ee (sandy) in my head for some reason, hahaha.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fix for MBR problem

For everyone who has been receiving a hang at the MBR screen, I have found a fix that is bound to work for everyone. Will post later!
    EDIT:
    Revamped Tutorial now up!
    Last edited by Sand Lee; November 23rd, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
    Focus on how it can be rather than how it could've been.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

While this may be the wrong place to ask this question, I am looking to have Ubuntu and Windows partitions both able to natively boot as well as the ability to pull up my Ubuntu partition through VirtualBox in windows and my windows partition through VirtualBox in Ubuntu.

Is this at all possible?

I definitely want to have each able to boot natively as I use some processor intensive programs in each OS, and don't want to sacrifice anything when it really counts, but would like to have quick access to each partition from both OSs.

I currently reboot about 3x an hour and use each OS about equally (really REALLY obnoxious)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by minivitale View Post
    While this may be the wrong place to ask this question, I am looking to have Ubuntu and Windows partitions both able to natively boot as well as the ability to pull up my Ubuntu partition through VirtualBox in windows and my windows partition through VirtualBox in Ubuntu.

Is this at all possible?

I definitely want to have each able to boot natively as I use some processor intensive programs in each OS, and don't want to sacrifice anything when it really counts, but would like to have quick access to each partition from both OSs.

I currently reboot about 3x an hour and use each OS about equally (really REALLY obnoxious)
    This tutorial will get you to be able to use XP inside ubuntu. then you just need to set up ubuntu inside of xp elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@minivitale

If you often boot into XP, I wouldn't recommend using this tutorial as you'll have to reactivate everytime you switch back and forth between the native and virtual booting of XP. But nonetheless, what you're asking is certainly possible. I'm not sure if there's a tutorial out there for accessing the Ubuntu partition from XP, but the VirtualBox UserManual should have all the information you need to get started.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Okay thanks for the tips. I'll try to keep you guys in the loop through this thread in the case that I find anything useful for my situation b/c I doubt I'm the only one with this goal.

Beans

@ Sand Lee,

I was conversing with you on another thread the other day and seem to have the activation fix working under VirtualBox.

what happened:

I ended up installing VirtualBox again after I recently installed a 64bit os and found I couldn't get vmware to install.

I followed the how to on this thread to get my existing 32bit WinXP Pro SP3 up and running in VBox. Installed the Vbox tools, rebooted the virtual machine, activated windows.

From there, I modified the windows script 'activation.bat' found here:
    http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/07/...-virtualizing/

on the third line, from this:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all | find "VMware" > network.tmp
    to this:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all | find "AMD" > network.tmp
    AMD being the start of the virtual net adapter name I'm using.

I didn't change anything else in the script as I already had the folders created to work under vmware.

I hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@waydownsouth

That's great news! Does it work after successive reboots? And how long has it been since you've used this method? Windows will generally whine after three days or after a couple reboots from my experience. Let me know if it still works after 3 days and I'll try to add it to the tutorial ASAP. I no longer have an XP installation to test this on, so I'll just wait on feedback from other users.

Beans

It locked up hard the first 2 times I tried a physical boot, I'm guessing that was when windows was trying to start the Vbox service.
    Third and subsequent boots, physical windows doesn't start the service whilst virtual windows does?

I've been back and forth about 6 times already with no lockups or activation required so far, but, as you said, it may take a day or three for problems to manifest, will let you know.

I'm sure you'll be able to tidy up my methodology a bit for others too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Boot an existing XP (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Hi There,

I did everything (created the mbr and vmdk file and set my Virtualbox according to the tutorial).

My problem is:

I can access my partition normally... no problem at all...
    But after ~5 minutes it just freeze.
    No mouse, no keyboard, nothing...

If I start my virtual Windows XP in safe mode,
    it works well.

If anyone could help me on it,
    I will really appreciate!

Thank you
    r.
    Ubuntu 11.04, Intel Core2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz 64bits, 4gb ram, 640gb HD, GeForce 9300M GS
    http://www.renatoferrari.net

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast