Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heron for the birds?

Beans

Red face Heron for the birds?

What a pain the last 36 hours have been. After two clean installs and no helpful replies in overcoming my wireless card issues, I have no recourse but to ditch Ubuntu and go back to Vista. Did anyone who's been posting here for the last two days ever get their wireless problems resolved? There have been scores of posts reporting such troubles.

Maybe soon there will be a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Heron for the birds?

Wireless has always been a bit shaky with Ubuntu, at least in my experience. My advice would be to wait a week or two until things calm down, and try again then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What wireless card/chip do you have?

Beans

I agree with hackle, forum's latest posts normaly used to move about 10 posts while I replied to one post, today it's dropping 2 or 3 pages for every post, so forums are definatly busy(because of the hardy release). Things will calm down soon, and people will have more time to respond to your exact problem and can offer better support. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wireless is quite often a problem, regardless of the Linux distribution in use. Most problems come down to the actual wireless card/chipset that you have in your computer.

For example, my Dell has a Broadcomm card and these are often quite a pain to get working. It usually takes me an hour or two to get it working on any random distribution that I try.

However, if I simply connect or install an Intel card it works pretty much right out of the box. Sometimes it's best to just scrap the onboard card and use a PCMCIA card.

i wish you the best of luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm having trouble with wireless too, can't get internet on Ubuntu. Looks like a lot of people are having difficulties.

Luckily i have dual-boot, otherwise I would be in deep doo-doo.

I'll keep trying, I'm learning a lot - better than wasting my time on Youtube....

Beans

Thanks for understanding and just being supportive

Well, I have a Realtek 8185 in my Gateway laptop. In Vista (Home Basic) no problem at all with this card, but Ubuntu will just not see it.

It's strange, because I was playing with Ubuntu, just running it off a live CD I'd made (last version, 7.something...) and there was never any problem with that seeing my wireless network adapter. Something between then and now is different in a bad way.

Beans

I did a clean install of Hardy on thursday, my wireless didn't work off back. I have a broadcom 4306 card. I plugged in a lan cable, a window popped up saying something about some hardware not being used, it downloaded whatever was needed and since then it's been working great. In Gutsy I had to use fwcutter43bcmxx and the windows driver to get my wireless to work.

Beans

8.04 did just hit release... I wouldn't expect that there would be many fixes out for it yet.

Have you tried looking for fixes for the earlier releases? Or maybe installing an earlier release? I'm happy using 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

I am brand new to Ubuntu and Linux as of Monday but I was able to figure out how to setup wvdial to use my Razr V3xx as my modem. (Which is what I had been doing in Windows.) That could be an option to consider for now?
    Last edited by Hellishcross; April 27th, 2008 at 03:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sometimes in GNU/Linux things don't always work, right out of the box. You have to be a bit proactive at it... and persistant, before posting a topic such as you have here.

Now, I look at all of your posts. Did you try the suggestion made in the last reply on your thread... the one you've left out to dry?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...73&postcount=3

Your reply in post number 4 only mentions the links in post number 2.

Go give that a whirl and try to keep all your posts regarding a specific topic in one thread please... Keeps the forum less clutered that way. Thanks for the effort.

Good luck
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast