Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wireless not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Wireless not working

I am running the i386 version of Heron, Could that affect the way things run. When I go to install amarok it says that i386 is not supported. Thanks again
    Sony VAIO VGN AR520E With 4GB of RAM 200gb and 250gb Hard drives. Running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Ubuntu User 21931

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by riptreeper View Post
    I am running the i386 version of Heron, Could that affect the way things run. When I go to install amarok it says that i386 is not supported. Thanks again
    Shouldn't. Is your VAIO 32 or 64 bit?

What is the output of
    Code:
    lwconfig
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

alex@VAIO:~$ lwconfig
    bash: lwconfig: command not found
    alex@VAIO:~$

It's 32 bit.
    Sony VAIO VGN AR520E With 4GB of RAM 200gb and 250gb Hard drives. Running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Ubuntu User 21931

Beans
    Distro

dang... my bad!

That would be

Code:
    iwconfig
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No worries

alex@VAIO:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:1E:E5:3A:8A:72
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=98/100 Signal level=-51 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    Ubuntu User 21931

Beans
    Distro

ok, well - it's there.

Questions:
    1- When editing that file earlier did you manually add your mac address for your wireless card... which would be 00:1E:E5:3A:8A:72?
    2- Did you try changing the "wmaster0" references to wlan0?
    3- After saving the file, did you reboot?

BTW, I just noticed your email addy in your signature. You may want to obscure it... or remove it all together. I know gmail does good on spam, but you'll get a lot if you leave it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

k, well - it's there.

Questions:
    1- When editing that file earlier did you manually add your mac address for your wireless card... which would be 00:1E:E5:3A:8A:72?
    2- Did you try changing the "wmaster0" references to wlan0?
    3- After saving the file, did you reboot?

BTW, I just noticed your email addy in your signature. You may want to obscure it... or remove it all together. I know gmail does good on spam, but you'll get a lot if you leave it.

1. No I didn't

2. It was already changed

3. Yes I rebooted. Which was really fast compared to Vista

And thanks for the tip about the e-mail
    Ubuntu User 21931

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

this is what the file looks like now.

# This file maintains persistent names for network interfaces.
    # See udev(7) for syntax.
    #
    # Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules
    # file; however you are also free to add your own entries.

# PCI device 0x11ab:0x4363 (sky2)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:13:a9:e3:92:61", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x4229 (iwl4965)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:13:e8:71:57:2b", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"
    Ubuntu User 21931

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Had a similar problem tonight when testing the live CD. I cannot connect to my WEP connection, but I can connect to an open connection with Network Manager. I've never been able to use NM in any of the previous Ubuntu releases, unfortunately.

Just to make sure you can connect, try removing the security for a few moments on your router and then connect with your wireless.

Things that have worked for me, though, (using WEP with a hidden address)

1. If the computer is pretty much always in one place, one can remove the NM through Synaptic then go to System-->Administration-->Network, under Wireless Connection, choose Properties then enter in the ESSID and the password, and choose the configuration. Close the dialogue box, then uncheck and check the box next to the wireless connection. This usually works quite well.

2. I've used the command line method before shown here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...s+command+line very helpful. It's worth it to read and practice, just in case the GUIs fail you.

3. Look up wicd: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ for wireless. It's the program I find I use the most. (That and the command line method) It also can use WPA2 security settings. I don't think NM has the ability to use it yet?
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro

LOL well, the last part of #3 is always a given in this neck of the woods... but don't distract me! ROFL

Question:

May seems stupid to ask (now) but, are you using the network manager (or something) to setup the connection for your computer... and it just doesn't connect? It seems to me, that it should be able to connect as it's been recognized and has the proper driver modules loading. Double check the network manager for your wireless connection and make sure the settings are right. Username, password, encryption and so on.

Pre post editing: Thanks for posting the file...

You've still got the backup of that file I presume, so go back to it

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    You need to edit it again and show this for your wireless connection only:

Replace DRIVERS=="?*" to look like DRIVERS=="iwl4965"

Now save the file and reboot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast